Hang on skimmers

jft

ARE reef octo the only hang on skimmers do consider, Any others for tanks up to 125 gallons. I hate sumps !

DaveK

Your not going to like what I'm going to tell you, but IMO once you get to a tank size of 125 gal, a HOB skimmer is really not a good option. They just are not large enough to do the job.

The question is now do you really need a skimmer? Some systems don't need one. It's very dependent upon what you keep in the system and the demands on the filtration system. Alternatives to skimming include algae scrubbing, but while good, does have some other considerations.

The other question is why do you hate sumps? Perhaps you had a bad experience or other problems that can easily be resolved with equipment available today. Tell us more about your current system, including the filtration system. If your still planning the system, then tell us about your plans.

jft

I have kept marine tanks for 40 years so I have alot of experience including sumps which Cost alot. Currently have the tank as FO with all doing well various centropyge angels and one trigger plus three clowns and 6 damsels. I The problem with sumps is unless you have one custom made which costs even more is upgrades with equipment is and often does NOT work due to the new equipment NOT fitting!

jft

My Last sump a tideline brand new leaked all over my living room carpet. I had mutiple sumps from other manufacturers over the years , Filter socks are worthless in my opinion constant cleaning. If I go back to sumps which I doubt I will make my own. Spent lots of CASH on crap designs that I felt did not meet my needs. Currently Tank runs on three eheims which I have working for 20 plus years and A Internal Uv sterilizer, was looking to add a skimmer to cut down on weekly water changes.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sounds like you know what you’re doing then…… I’d stick to water changes vs a skimmer.

I prefer sumps but seem to have better experiences with them than you.

no skimmer equals more water changes in my book.