Halloween Urchin and SeaWeed

gbose

So I got a new Halloween urchin and he's getting settled into my tank. I thought he'd be OK, as I have a LOT of coralline algae in my tank. But I read that they need seaweed, in case there isn't enough algae in the tank. So I attached a sheet of dried seaweed and was pleased when the urchin headed to it...

But he doesn't seem to be eating it -- he's got it wrapped over his top, I guess as camouflage. So, do these urchins need seaweed to eat? I don't really want to add it for him to wear -- the effect's quite unattractive...

GBose

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think you'll need supplemental feeding down the road. Odds are he smelled it and went over vs needing food

ReefApprentice

Mine munches away at my rock all the time and eats my halimedia. I do try to feed him sheets of algae but my blenny is so well greedy. He does eat it every once in a while I try to feed him twice a week and he gets about 1 of those feedings stolen and he gets the other one.

gbose

Thanks, all!

I gave my urchin another piece of seaweed today; he seems to be wearing it. An aquatic bag lady.....