Hair algea!!!ugh

So im lost...dont know what to do...I got a 29 jbj bio cube and a 10g nano..and im now at a loss...PLEASE HELP!!

All levels are where they need to be. I know that because of the hair algea some of my levels will appear to be where they need to be. I recently got a RO/DI system and have been doing water changes and top off with that water. I heard that magnesium levels could be a reason. Soo i bought a magnesium test kit and that is at 1400. Im at a loss dont know what else to do...I also took all live rock out bought a soft tooth brush and had my way with the rock that was when i first got the ro/di system. Just woundering if there is anything else that i can do to get things under control.
:banghead:

reefnut

I use Kent Marine Tank Clarifier.
It cleared up my tank in about 2 weeks.
You still need to find the source of your problem.
When I first got into the hobby, I used tap water and was over feeding the tank. Tank tested out good, but I still got hair algae.
Now I use purified water and dont feed the tank like i use to lol.
I'm just saying it worked great for me and it did not hurt any of my animals corals inverts anemone starfish ect... but Im not telling to use it. i am just stating it worked for me.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tell us about your cuc... does it look anything like this? ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (30 Breeder)

32 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

11 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

20 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

6 Large & 4 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Pretty tank !

IMAG0049.jpg

DaveK

So im lost...dont know what to do...I got a 29 jbj bio cube and a 10g nano..and im now at a loss...PLEASE HELP!!

All levels are where they need to be. I know that because of the hair algea some of my levels will appear to be where they need to be. I recently got a RO/DI system and have been doing water changes and top off with that water. I heard that magnesium levels could be a reason. Soo i bought a magnesium test kit and that is at 1400. Im at a loss dont know what else to do...I also took all live rock out bought a soft tooth brush and had my way with the rock that was when i first got the ro/di system. Just woundering if there is anything else that i can do to get things under control.
:banghead:

Besides Magnesium, what are the exact readings you get when you run your tests? This is important. What seems insignificant to you may mean a great deal to us.

How long have you had the tank setup, and how bad is your problem?

Algae problems is usually caused by nitrates and/or phosphates getting out of control. Just because your test kit reads 0 does not mean your system is OK. In many cases the algae are using up the nutrients, and growing, as fast as they are added to the system. The most common causes are overfeeding, and using water with nitrates or phosphates in it. Other possible sources are not a fully cycled system, something died in the system, and low grade carbon.

Look closely at how much your feeding and make sure it's all being eaten in a few min.

I should also add that i have 4 hermits, 4 Nassarius, 1 LARGE turbo snail always knocking down my corals, large serpant star, 3 pep shrimp and 1 six line wrasse and lots of coral

DaveK

Ca 420
Alk 7Dkh
Salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
Mag 1350
ph 0
Am 0.1
Ni/Na both 0.0

In looking at the results, I'd consider the alkalinity slightly low, but don't try to do anything about that. Your likely to cause more harm than good chasing a number.

I'd be very worried about an Ammonia reading of .1, provided this is correct. Sometimes test kits, especially aquarium grade ones, just will not ever read 0. Have the water retested using another test kit, preferably another brand. Many LFS will do this for you.

If the .1 reading is correct, you have a serious issue. Algae love ammonia as a food source. Any ammonia reading at all indicates that the biological filtration is not keeping up. This can be from the tank being over crowded, something dead in the tank, over feeding, or the tank not being fully cycled.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think your CUC could be a little light......Look into emerald crabs.

I am having the same problem but I had a brain that was dying slowly and I suspect he was feeding the HA among some other things. I'm also dipping my rock in a 50/50 tank water to hydrogen peroxide and it seems to kill it........although killing it is cool the advice above to find the source is key.

Besides starving it of nutrients, you may try to starve it of light also. Last year I had a horrible breakout of HA in my 10gal nano, and I tried numerous combos, and finally what did it was doing 2 huge WCs and shutting the lights off for 2-3 days, with a towel around the glass to make sure no light penetrates it. While I didn't have super sensitive corals, everything was fine when the lights finally came back on, and the HA started dying or was dead. Not sure if anyone else has tried that method.