Had to try it . Vertex Skimmer

mordibv

It's not a Bubble King , ATB or WM but it didn't break the bank . I had to retire my DAS BX skimmer . I ran across this and the build is cell cast acrylic with a needlewheel pushing into a bubble plate . Was very easy to setup .Model # IN 100 .Only time will tell . The skimmer is clear acrylic . It looks like white pvc in the picture .That's how dense the bubbles are . LOL

mini-263.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have been checking out this company. It looks like they make good stuff at a low cost. From the look of the foam in your pictures it looks like you did well in getting this skimmer.:thumbup:

trippkid

So far I have only heard good things about these skimmers, I hope yours does you good. Keep us posted on the performance.
Matt

dustypop

I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 12 gal system. I purchased the Vertex in-180 and it has worked very well. I have been having problems with red slime and water changes have done little to remedy the problem. I turned of the skimmer and dosed the tank with Red Slime control. The next day I powered up the skimmer and immediatly had bubbles going everywhere, even out the down spout. I have done two more 20percent water changes and I still cant regulate the skimmer properly. Im at a loss. My dealer advised the water changes. He stated that the Red slime control can make your skimmer go nuts. Im hoping that someone that has had this experience can lend some knowledge as to how to remedy this issue.
Thanks
Dusty

Adam Black

One of our LFS started carrying the Vertex line. He's got one on his frag tank that's looking pretty good. It replaced a ATI skimmer. He likes the Vertex way better.

mordibv

I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 12 gal system. I purchased the Vertex in-180 and it has worked very well. I have been having problems with red slime and water changes have done little to remedy the problem. I turned of the skimmer and dosed the tank with Red Slime control. The next day I powered up the skimmer and immediatly had bubbles going everywhere, even out the down spout. I have done two more 20percent water changes and I still cant regulate the skimmer properly. Im at a loss. My dealer advised the water changes. He stated that the Red slime control can make your skimmer go nuts. Im hoping that someone that has had this experience can lend some knowledge as to how to remedy this issue.
Thanks
Dusty

It is the red slime remove that is making the skimmer froth like crazy . Make sure the return pipe is halfway out the water . Did u get it adjusted yet ? Skimmer level should be 7 inches in water .

Update ... Impeller issues and new one sent from PA installed . Up and running again .

First cup removal after 5 days or so . This was before impeller replacement .

Hope pic size is k .

firstcupremoved001.jpg
[/IMG]

I heard these were built with a thicker acrylic compared to other skimmers? Can anyone vouch for this? I always going with an Ocotpus extreme now this skimmer caught my attention. Can anyone chime in about comparing both skimmers?

Adam Black

I heard these were built with a thicker acrylic compared to other skimmers? Can anyone vouch for this? I always going with an Ocotpus extreme now this skimmer caught my attention. Can anyone chime in about comparing both skimmers?

They look and fell like the same build quality to me.

DaveK

... and dosed the tank with Red Slime control. The next day I powered up the skimmer and immediatly had bubbles going everywhere, even out the down spout.... My dealer advised the water changes. He stated that the Red slime control can make your skimmer go nuts. Im hoping that someone that has had this experience can lend some knowledge as to how to remedy this issue.
Thanks
Dusty

As much as it pains me to say this (grin), your LFS dealer is correct. Such products do make a skimmer go overboard.

You are likely going to need to make many more, large water changes.

Remember that each water change has a diminishing effect.

First 20% water change, you change 20% of the water.
Second 20% water change, you change only 16% of the water, because 20% of th water coming out is water from the previous water change.
Third water change, you change only 12.8%, because of the previous two water changes.
Fourth, 10.2
Fifth, 8.19
Sixth, 6.55
Seventh, 5.24
You'll need to do those 7 water changed to change about 75% of the original water. Note, we are talking about water changes being done back to back to remove something, not your once a week, or once a month changes.

You may not need to go that far though. After 3 or 4 water changes, you might be able to just let the skimmer remove the remaining stuff, and keep emptying the collection container. Turn the skimmer down a bit for this, once the "glop" is removed, turn it back up.

Jason25

Thanks
Dusty

I had the same thing happen to me when I treated my tank for cynao. Stay on top of your water changes and you will be fine. Let the skimmer run for awhile to get rid of some the gunk but it will work fine again just give it time.

mordibv

I can say build is the same . I have two friends with MSX's . I think the MSX with one pump is a compromise. That skimmer appears way too huge; body wise for the pump . It is on a 125 long with the model 200 . Like a 8 inch body .

I can say the smaller 160 appears correct as its only a 6.5 inch body with the same pump .

Go figure .

rmlevasseur

This skimmer looks AWESOME in my mind, especially for the price. I'm getting my MSX cone skimmer back this week and the bubble density is similar. You could always upgrade the pump down the line if you wanted to as well.