Grow out system?

Snelly40

im sure you women already make a difference!
you know what they say, behind every great man is an even greater woman, im no different, my girlfriend is great!

Intranick

Between some of you guys, RS could start its own online fish store.

I was thinking about that the other day. be cool to get a two level down town shop like we have a lot of here, turn the basement into breeding and maybe wholesale under a different name, turn the first level into a "captive raised only (or mostly if thats not possible) shop..

lcstorc

Captive bred is the way to go. Ad an aquaculture facility as well and then we can add lots of corals and clams.

Intranick

you guys should all move to mankato so we can work together at it :p'

I always buy tank raised/aquacultured when I can. its more used to the tank and doesn't involve taking something from its home in the wild. I like that.

Intranick

I'm thinking about applying at the major LFS -- i'm always disappointed at their quality but one of my friends just started working there, and If I can get in it, between the two of us, we should be able to improve things greatly

Phyxius

Wow Doni, looks like you have gotten yourself really loaded with more tanks now LOL.
Glad to see all of its coming along so well and I missed a bunch of your clownfish adventure over the last few months. Great job on it all and if its anything like your big tank it will all prove successful in the end!!! I see your still loading the Focus to the top on items still..LOL

Intranick

Wow Doni, looks like you have gotten yourself really loaded with more tanks now LOL.
Glad to see all of its coming along so well and I missed a bunch of your clownfish adventure over the last few months. Great job on it all and if its anything like your big tank it will all prove successful in the end!!! I see your still loading the Focus to the top on items still..LOL

you'd be surprised at how much it can hold when you put the back seat down. I've fit in an amazing amount of stuff

Phyxius

you'd be surprised at how much it can hold when you put the back seat down. I've fit in an amazing amount of stuff

We owned a Focus wagon at one time. I just made the comment as the few times Doni came to the house it was either loaded or getting loaded. You can also fit white 55g drums in them as Doni proved when she picked some up from me :)

Intranick

Its especially amusing that she has a hatchback of the same color. as I asked earlier, I wonder if its a zx3 or a zx5 she has and what year. Mine is a 2005 ZX5 and as much as i get crap for having it, i love it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
We owned a Focus wagon at one time. I just made the comment as the few times Doni came to the house it was either loaded or getting loaded. You can also fit white 55g drums in them as Doni proved when she picked some up from me :)

LOL~ Hi :hallo:
Yes, I still use it just like a pick up truck :D It continues to amaze me at how much it can hold.
I use those 55 gal drums daily. I don't know how I managed without them.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Its especially amusing that she has a hatchback of the same color. as I asked earlier, I wonder if its a zx3 or a zx5 she has and what year. Mine is a 2005 ZX5 and as much as i get crap for having it, i love it.

Sorry I missed that question (been very busy this week)...
It is a 2005 ZX5 SES, manual. That is too cool that you have one just like mine. I bought minenew in 2005 because I had two car payments at the same time (daughter :willis: ) so I went for the inexpensive route... yet nice. Now that I have driven it over 60k miles, I don't want anything else. I absolutely love it! :dance:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Heater cage/holder?

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to secure heaters to a rubbermaid sump?

The heaters are 400 watt so I need to keep them from touching the plasitc sides.
I tried using the suction cups that came with the heaters but they do not hold.
I also made a floating holder out of a peice of insulation but removed it because I was afraid of it leaching chemicals into the water (photo below).
There is a shallow sand bed of 3" in the sump so I temporarily have the heater tips slightly dipped in the sand and leaning away from the sump sides.

Here is a pic of the heater-float in use before I removed it:

20080825growouttank3.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd use some Live Rock and maybe rubberband them (via suction cups) to the rock. Just guessing...

lcstorc

What about making an acrylic holder. It could hang on the edge of the sump and have holes cut for the heaters. If it was built to the right sizes it should work great.
Where is Frankie when you need him. He could do it with his eyes closed I am sure.
If we have time, I'll have Frank try this weekend and bring it to MACNA. What size are the heaters and how big is the lip on the tub? Frank made something similar on a smaller scale to hold the probe for our ph probe.

Intranick

Sorry I missed that question (been very busy this week)...
It is a 2005 ZX5 SES, manual. That is too cool that you have one just like mine. I bought minenew in 2005 because I had two car payments at the same time (daughter :willis: ) so I went for the inexpensive route... yet nice. Now that I have driven it over 60k miles, I don't want anything else. I absolutely love it! :dance:

I got mine summer of 05, also an SES but its an automatic.

I got this car because I wanted something fuel efficient for college. currently have 62,500 miles on it, never had any problems either. for a time I thought about just getting rid of the back seat. if its possible. I too wouldn't trade it for anything. good, reliable car, cheap to drive, and plenty of fun :)

how old's your daughter and what does she drive? my parents got my younger sister a Taurus, but she totaled it already.. so she got another one with the insurance money but.. unfortunately she already thinks she deserves a new car..

Woodstock

RS STAFF
My daughter first had an Isuzu Rodeo but has upgraded to a new Hyundai Tiburon to help with gas costs.

Good ideas Allen and Lynn. Lynn, I'm not sure just yet If I will be going to MACNA or not (probably not). I'll know for sure this weekend...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The electrician is coming out this afternoon to install TWO seperate 20 amp circuits with GFI's. :thumbup:

Even though I only have three of the 20 gal tanks plumbed in and circulating water, the plumbing is flushing horribly bad. I think am going to remove the 1" flexible hose at the end and just keep it 2" all the way to the sump. I initially wanted the flexible hose so I could remove them if needed to access the external return pump....but I really don't think it is necessary. I can still reach the pump good enough.