Grow out system?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Doni you should start a Woodstock fan club and charge 5 dollars. I will joing first! My wife asked me... "Why cant you do that" Thanks a lot you got me in trouble:smack:

LOL~ Sorry :)
I did need help hoisting it up but now it is finished and secured :clink:
Once that was completed, I started working on the plumbing again. I removed the 2" drain system and changed out a few fittings.
Due to plumbing difficulties, I have decided to forego the wet-dry filter and just put the bioballs inside the 100 gal stock tank (I will slowly remove them later once the sandbed ages a bit.
I need to make yet another trip to Home Depot and trade a few fittings for different ones.... and to return the two shop lights I purchased. I was going to install those today but they require wiring :rolleyes: I am looking for a plug-n-play light fixture. I am cutting corners where ever I can ;)

20080810Canopyfinished002.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I've ordered 4 - 400 watt heaters but hopefully will only need to use two. I will hook them up to my ReefKeeper Controller (geee... I just realized I need to order Heavy duty outlets for that too....) to keep the water temp stable.
I have called my electrician to come over and put in a seperate outlet just for the heaters.
I have now officially exceeded the budget alloted for this grow out system :cursin:

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
If you wish to save about half the cost of buying the heavy duty outlets you can make your own. Between a hardware store such as Home Depot and Radio shack you can readily obtain the parts. Save even mote money by using cords and plugs from old outlets. Here is a link with simple directions, including pictures. No soldering even required.
[ KB ] Expansion Block for Timers, and All Controllers - Saltcity Reef Forums

Another one by the same person, only using four outlets, is by link from the on-line site where they have the controller comparison chart. He soldered wires on this one as he added LED lights. Only the LED lights and the resistors used with them actually need to be soldered. The other connections can be easily done with solder less crimp on connectors like those used on his first box with two outlets. I will try to find the link and add it by editing this post.
Aquarium Controllers: DIY Projects

I made a panel with eight outlets where the outlets are actually installed into the front of a small circuit breaker panel with just one power cable going from it to the main circuit breaker panel. However this does not meet electrical codes. By codes the otlets and the relays would have to be in a seperate box that was attached to the circuit breaker panel. It also has small cords, one for each outlet that run to the timers, however they could just the same run to an existing controller power strip.

Mine just use standard telephone cables, however the cables to a power strip would of course need standard light weight power cables. It was a bit more complicated, but only because holes had to be cut for the outlets. The relays are the same. I buy mine online for $2.37 each versus Radio Shack at $10 each. Outlets can be purchased that fit in round holes allowing for holes either made with a hloe saw or with punchs sold at electrical supply houses.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Wow! Great info Fatman.

GSellers - I will use a large bowl and place them directly into the new tank keeping the bowl covered (dark). I am a long way from finishing the system and I don't think I'll get to work on it much this weekend either.

Goldenmean - I have drilled the 100 gal rubbermaid sump, installed the Iwaki pump and finished the return plumbing.
I still need to install permanent lighting and get a few drain fittings (had to special order them from a plumbing supply place-- 1" T's with a 'slip on the nose and threads on the horns'). Once those come in, the leak test can begin.
Ohhh... I also still need to get an electrician to wire a few circuits for it....and I will need to start getting the insulation figured out...

sandyc

Wow! That is going to be quite the system. I am impressed. I have made a promise to myself to keep to two baby tanks. I hope I am not lying to myself. LOL. The babies are just so darned cute. I can't wait to get home from work each night to see how they are doing.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Well, I went ahead and ordered the lighting system tonight. I found a complete 4 bulb T-5 retro set: including (all new) IC 660, wiring harness, power plug, heat sink, 8 endcaps, standoffs, and reflectors for $280 with free shipping (marine depot). I also ordered four T-5 10k bulbs. That should light all 10 tanks well enough since the tanks are side by side. If not, I can always order another set.
I was trying to find used but most people wanted close to (or more) than $100 for a used IC660 but you can get them new for $124 (ballast, heatsink, wiring harness).... so I got all new stuff.

Intranick

That is all so cool Doni. :) next thing you know, you'll be supplying petstores in 5-6 states with clowns and it will be your full time job.. :D better get a couple more pairs :p

oh.. i too drive a dark blue focus hatchback.. is yours the zx3 or zx5?

also fitting my stand in the back looked like i went through about the same thing.. pain in the butt :p

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
In Australia the population of Clown fish , in areas allowing harvest, is down 75 percent over those areas not allowing harvest. Yes you can make a difference, all the while enjoying your self immensely!

Snelly40

alright, lets start a business.
Me and SeaMunkycan provide the bangai cardinals, woody the clowns and everyne can chip in in their own way and we start selling!!!