Grow out system?

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thank you Fatman. I will check into them. I am afraid they will be too large though.... I need to have room to slide the tanks out if necessary and there is very little room to spare towards the top.

Simple solution for that. Just turn the valves sideways. They care not how they are oriented, plus anatomically it is easier to turn a knob that is vertical rather than horizontal. If you could see the inside of a ball valve when it is mistakenly used to control flow you would realize that they are designed to use as a quick way of completely stopping the flow or starting the flow. Ball valves and butterfly valves were never meant or designed to be used to throttle back the flow, slow or restrict it etc..

Where as a gate valve is specifically designed to control flow levels. The flow through a ball valve or butterfly valve is very turbulent and causes much head loss in comparison to a gate valve. A mechanical engineer designs systems with both a ball valve and a gate valve. The gate valve is used to adjust flow and velocity of flow, and the ball valve is only used as a last resort as a quick shut off. It is not supposed to be used for other than emergencies as a quickly closed pressurized line causes water hammer, or a jerking of the pipe. This causes loosing and breakage of fittings and other valves.

The cheap plumber uses ball valves to put a customers system in cheaper and therefore make more profit. The typical person uses ball valves inappropriately because it is cheaper and also because they do not know the reasons they should not.

Now the people reading this can make an informed decision rather than just doing as others do and not knowing why they should or should not. :dance:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
IT FIT!!! :eek: Who needs a pickup truck :D

I went to Tractor Supply today and they had a 100 gal Brute Rubbermaid stock tank... woot! I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for my local Southern States store to get some in so I was thrilled to find them!
I was SOOOO happy that it fit in my little car! :D

:dance:
20080808004.jpg

20080808005.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Cool Doni!
Cracker brought up a good point, If you need any info on cooling a garage let me know. It's easy. Mines at 75f 24/7. Heating will be the next issue~

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Great, glad it fit, Hatchbacks are nice for that.
Now get to work. :D
I really have grown to like my little car. I bought it new in 2005 and downgraded from an Eddie Bauer Explorer... BIG adjustment!
However now, I am very glad I did :)

I work on it at least a few hours every day... slowly I am getting things done....

How do You plan to control temps in the garage?
I am not worried about the heat as much as I am the cold. I've been watching the rotifer culture's water temp for the last month and it fluctuates but stays within acceptable parameters.

It is the winter time that I am still worried about.... I guess 3 or 4 300 watt heaters, insulating every tank, and making acrylic covers for everything.

:dunno:

Cool Doni!
Cracker brought up a good point, If you need any info on cooling a garage let me know. It's easy. Mines at 75f 24/7. Heating will be the next issue~

I am not concerned with the heat. I prefer to have 79-85 for the growing babies but I think in the winter will be an issue...

cracker

I forget that your summer temps are not as hot as they are down my way. During a cold snap, something as simple as a couple of curtains & rods to enclose the setup would trap the warmth & be easily removed later.:cool:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I forget that your summer temps are not as hot as they are down my way. During a cold snap, something as simple as a couple of curtains & rods to enclose the setup would trap the warmth & be easily removed later.:cool:

Thank you for that tip :thumbup:

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Highest insulative qualities are from closed cell polyurethanes. This also tends to have the greatest resistance to moisture damages. Sprayed in place urethane of course would be the best, but very unpractical and likely very unpleasant to view. The best bet would be what is called blue board. It is extruded closed cell polyurethane foam insulation with UV inhibitors that dye it blue. Urethane must be protected from ultra violet waves.

Bead board, which is the white board insulation board is less effective insulation and readily wicks up moisture.

The pink extruded foam boards are alo polyurethane but lack the UV protecting dye.

There is also a foil covered insulation board that is in between the bead board and extruded polyurethane in insulation abilities, but it wicks water even more than bead board.

Of course the costs are based on the insulation abilities, so blue board costs the most and bead board costs the least.

One could just build walls and a ceiling around the area with cheap bead board insulation for winter use. In the long run you would likely save more money insulating the tanks themselves.

Do not forget to insulate the bottoms. Just run a sheet the length and with of the tanks on each level.

I would glue Velcro squares to the foam panels for the tanks (there is adhesive in caulking tubes made to glue foam insulation) and stick the other square of Velcro straight to the tanks. At least consider this for insulation panels or the front of the tanks. Use Velcro square just big enough to hold the panels in place and no bigger then necessarily or you will constantly be re-gluing and re-sticking the Velcro pads.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Great info! Thank you :thumbup:
I have some of the pink and blue board in the garage.
Is this the blue board you speak of?
20080809insulation.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Another delay on finishing the project...

This morning when I began dry-fitting some return plumbing and was making ANOTHER shopping list for HomeDepot, I notice something missing.....

20080808001-1.jpg

There is NO top over the top row of tanks :eek: I need something to hang the lights and the return plumbing onto...
So I am making a top today out of 2x4's.
Once that is completed, I will continue working on the return plumbing.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Here you can see the VERY tall ceilings and the lack of a top frame over the top row of tanks.

20080809001.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
WOW! I am impressed! No blood either :D The key to a safe cut is a sharp blade.
This is becoming some project Doni, I am very impressed. The neighbors must think your a mad women! I like it ;)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
WOW! I am impressed! No blood either :D The key to a safe cut is a sharp blade.
This is becoming some project Doni, I am very impressed. The neighbors must think your a mad women! I like it ;)

Haha~ Nope, no blood and only one splinter so far :D

Tonz of fun

Doni you should start a Woodstock fan club and charge 5 dollars. I will joing first! My wife asked me... "Why cant you do that" Thanks a lot you got me in trouble:smack: