grow cyano? BUT WHY?!!!

lcstorc

Please keep us posted on your success or failure on this project. This is something easy enough even I could probably make one. Very interresting idea. I hope it works as espected. Sounds like it will though.

lcstorc

LOL. No I don't need any thank you. Actually my tank is not bad as far as algae. I had a few battles with cyano but once I got my fighting conchs it went away and so far has not been back. Of course I was also doing a lot of other things to make it go away, but that seemed to tip the scale in my favor.

KodiakBear

sorry, not patient enough to wait for yours to start working. I wrapped some screening material around a scrap piece of plexi and wedged it under the pipe feeding my sump. Took some cyano from the tank and mashed it really good into the screen. Probably too much flow for cyano to grow, but here's hoping!

rDr4g0n

well the cyano grows literally within hours of my stirring my sand bed so i figured the sheet would be overrun already lol

rDr4g0n

a tiny little update:

i see 2 teeny tiny spots of what appears to be hair algae growing on my sheet. thats about it lol

boozeman

Upon the land, way to the north of where the boisterous skimmerpeople live, await the cyanopeople. Their courage hoisted by news of thier bretheren to the south who were once liberated by the messiah. He, who with knowledge and skill unparalleled accomplished the unfanthomable. It is rumored, in cautious tones, of his taking on an apprentice. One full of desire and skill to match, but with occasional blood loss... bears the scars of countless battles won over the transparent material that is masterfully transformed, as if by will alone, into flights of fancy !

rDr4g0n

Upon the land, way to the north of where the boisterous skimmerpeople live, await the cyanopeople. Their courage hoisted by news of thier bretheren to the south who were once liberated by the messiah. He, who with knowledge and skill unparalleled accomplished the unfanthomable. It is rumored, in cautious tones, of his taking on an apprentice. One full of desire and skill to match, but with occasional blood loss... bears the scars of countless battles won over the transparent material that is masterfully transformed, as if by will alone, into flights of fancy !

dude...

dude that is just tooo freakin hilarious. i need to change my pants now.

lcstorc

ROFL! Booze that is great!

What about decreasing the water flow? Since cyano usually grows in low flow areas that might give it a batter starting place.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Well its been a week and I have 0 growth on the plate, in a way thats good but thought there might be something by now

rDr4g0n

same with me. i suspect the constant water flow is too much. perhaps we could put the powerhead on a 60 second timer or something?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hmm, I think i dont have anything left to grow? Im going to leave it for another 2 weeks then see

DaBird

I'll just throw in my .02, but I also think your cyanopeople have been liberated by the messiah......or too much flow, witchever way you want to go, all my cyano is in very low to still areas...

rDr4g0n

i suspect that the algae is unable to grab onto the acylic sheet, or that the flow is too much. so we can try putting screen over teh sheet for more grabbing area, and we can try to have the flow much less vertical, or perhaps on a timer.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Well its been another week, just a trace showing in the clear supply tube, Im going to rearrange the lighting dont think I have enough. How bout you John??