Grommet or similar

zchauvin

I cut my "window" for electronics in door today and I am wondering if anyone knows where to get larger square grommets as all I can find are smaller ones. Also wondering if there is some kind of pliable product that you can line edges with for if I cannot find a grommet to fit. Perhaps something that can be heated and worked the way you need. I don't know where to begin as for google searching if something like this exist.

zchauvin

What is its purpose. A seal?
I make custom foam gaskets letme know.
Not really for a seal, just to hide imperfections. It is on the front of door and being that I can't use a plastic grommet I'm just looking for something to lay over the wood edges from the cut. I found two potential ways so far. I could use a thicker black leather, not really comfortable with this for sure. Or there's a thicker black sealing tape, this would probably be easier but I'm not sure how it would look, especially in the corners. If I'm lucky enough to find a grommet large enough I could maybe get two and cut them to size. Just don't want to ruin the whole thing at the last step lol. Even thought about using some plastic flashing or similar, cutting to fit and 45 the corners then paint black and attach with glue of some sort.

Last edited:

zchauvin

Not sure where my head was, I could just buy some corner moulding and paint it black then glue on..

zchauvin

Lol it didn't work out as planned, will have to finish this part tomorrow - didn't feel like taking the table saw out and the smallest I could find was 1/2 x 1/2 and I only have about an 1/8" of play. Instead, I made false back for vortech controllers and ran them in. Should have it looking better tomorrow.

Bulkhead screens are coming in tomorrow so I'll get all that painted.

Also ordered a reef octopus 24" sump pvc/acrylic and a sicce 3.0 for tank.

zchauvin

Getting pretty frustrated with it now, have tried 4 different things and nothing it coming out nice enough IMO. Thinking about making another door that's solid and leaving it at that.