GregT's RSM250 LEDs Mark 2

GregT

Well after my custom inhood LEDs accident (I dropped the hood when doing some maintenance, and lost one channel, couldn't identify a fix) I've finally managed to get a replacement sorted after running my tank on blues only for about 2 months!
My last LEDs were 180w of blues white 3w and 90° Lens using the existing hood.

Replacing these with 300w White Blue Red Green 3w LEDs spread over the full length of the tank as a mix of 90°/120°mixed Lens with Secondary Optical Lens 60°.

Expecting delivery tomorrow and hope to build into the hood again to keep the tank looking stock.

Antics

I'm excited to see some pictures. Do you have before/during/after photos planned? Looking forward to updates! :D

GregT

Hi Antics,
This is what I did initially, and was very pleased with the way my old LEDs fit the RSM hood and timer. Trying to add more pics but my iPads not cooperating.

Greg_T_album
[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/ae114/Greg_T_album/?action=view&current=3ff4cbe445d9f3718266e8f2ddc60768.jpg] [/URL]

GregT

Im looking forward to the new LEDs, not sure I I can get them to fit in the existing cavity though.
So these are how it looked, will swap over this week and post the after pics
b458cf3192f7eaf6f7fa934faa0cc365.jpg

db15b3d0587b0d6a3a31b9e107a10b6c.jpg

Last edited:

Antics

Looking good! I'm a HUGE fan of the way Kessils look and I really wanted to go that route w/ T5's on a new tank. When I planned everything out and did a cost analysis of a new build vs going the RSM C250 route, I ended up choosing the RSM.

I see a lot of owners end up modding like you did, I'm not very DIY-capable so I don't think I'll be doing anything like that but maybe with enough exposure to seeing threads like yours will give me courage down the road. :p

GregT

Looking good! I'm a HUGE fan of the way Kessils look and I really wanted to go that route w/ T5's on a new tank. When I planned everything out and did a cost analysis of a new build vs going the RSM C250 route, I ended up choosing the RSM.

I see a lot of owners end up modding like you did, I'm not very DIY-capable so I don't think I'll be doing anything like that but maybe with enough exposure to seeing threads like yours will give me courage down the road. :p

I kept my tank stock for a few years, wanted to make changes but didn't gave the knowledge or confidence. Overheating forced me to change from T5s to LEDs first, and then added a sump.
Everything's been done on a low budget. Most nerve racking was installing the sump as I had to cut way part of my cabinet support under the tank and I did this with the tank full! (but braced)

New LEDs arrived today and I'm really pleased with the lightspread and output. I'll post some pics tomorrow and start figuring out how to mount in the hood over the weekend.

GregT

Tackled the major part of replacing my LEDs over the weekend.
First was removing the RSM250 hood then looking at what I need to do to either make it fit - or ditch the hood and suspend the lights.

I then Unscrewed the new LED fitting and check the contents - very tidy and different from my old LEDs. Good quality with all wiring neatly run and everything cable tied and securely fastened. Very impressed with the standard of work.

Below: Then gutted the inside of the RSM hood - removing all the old drivers and power supplys. Will try to retain the old RSM moonlights if I can and remount with them pointing down as they should have been designed to in the first place!
I can't see how to remove the the moonlights and can't find instructions anywhere?

PS label where wires go and take photos of everything!

Below: LEDs sitting inside the lower part of the hood, checking if I need to gut the new fitting to make it fit in the hood. When I add the top half of the cover the fit is very close - I may not need to cut much away, just holes for the fans and switches. I'll see how I feel next weekend when I aim to finish this.

This pic shows the lights on their lowest setting!

Antics

Looking good! I'll be interested to see how the project looks completed and what the growth and color is like further down the road after a few months.

GregT

Does anyone know how to remove the factory moonlights please? I don't want to destroy them in the process. They must be replaceable?

Worked out I'm able to retain these as moonlights still, but need to remove them from the metal reflector (don't need this) and relocate them back into the stock hood - and pointing down so they work properly!
Cheers