Green Birds nest question

jfenton954

I just got this green birds nest coral. It's the only hard coral(sps or lps) in my 75g tank right now. I have a reef breeder photon light that doesn't go above 50%. I just did a 20% water change and all the parameters are good. When I first got it the polyps stuck out further even at the lfs. So I just moved it to a less brighter and flow area to see if that will help. What do you guys think?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425513716.008438.jpg

frisbee

It looks ok, but it definitely needs some time to settle in. They might not be as light demanding as some of the other sps corals out there, but they do enjoy quite a bit of chaotic flow.

What exactly are your parameters btw?

Pat24601

Birdnests should be placed in high light and strong flow. It is coral that should be on top.

Unless there is something I'm missing, this is what I wsas going to say. I have two birds nest on top in strong flow and they are growing like weeds. I'm trying to think through where I'm going to put the frags I make from them...

I am a noob, though, so could be something different that I'm not thinking of...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd advise to give your Green Birds Nest plenty of growing room.
I have mine on the top middle LR in my scape w/high flow.
It has grown really fast.
About 8 months ago:
This was dip & rinse day & I removed the free GBA that came with it ;)
image.jpg image.jpg
Bottom photo taken just now....
showing about 8 months growth of the green birds nest.

jfenton954

What type of lightning do you have? I just got a reef breeder photon series LED light. An I run a carbon reactor to polish the water.

Oxylebius

When you first put the birds nest in your tank, did you start the frag on the sand to acclimate it first?
When did you move it to the higher position?
How long was it in the higher position before you moved it lower in the tank and lower flow?

I suggest that all sps should be acclimated on the sand bed for a week. Then slowly move it up to the position that you want it it. This allows the coral to acclimate to your water parameters and then the light levels. The final location for this coral would be in high light and good random current flow. But, it may not be happy if you plopped it in a high light position earlier on. Give it time to acclimate and slowly move it to a more lighted position.

jfenton954

Yes it was in the sand first. Then I moved to lower light and lower flow in the sand. Now yesterday I moved it to a higher light an flow area