Green algae unknown

fishhound

There is a small growth of algae that has appeared on one of my rocks in the last couple of weeks. Did some searches with no similar pics. Hermits, snails and emeralds don't seem interested. Any ideas? This stuff is really bright colored under the lights- the pics don't do it much justice. It glows under the actinics. Thought possibly gha, but it seems so bright and there's no trace of it anywhere else. Thanks

PB220139.jpg

PB220138.jpg

PB220136.jpg

PB220156.jpg

johnmaloney

the sprout looking one is neomeris annulata, the other one is in a book i have somewhere, i will try to find it for you. is the rock from the atlantic ocean or the pacific? (neomeris is pantropical)

fishhound

Neomeris annulata must have been it. I say have been because it is already gone. Thinking the snails mowed this stuff down-not a trace. Thanks for the i.d.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
John - looking at the pictures again it almost looks like the Neomeris annulata are sprouting from those little green hairy patches. Any idea if it starts out like that, or maybe it's just coincidence?

fishhound

I think you're right Reefmack. I did appear as though the sprouts were growing out of the tufts of hair. Although they are now gone, it appears that the would grow back if undisturbed. I am only assuming the snails mowed it down. Keeping an eye out.

johnmaloney

John - looking at the pictures again it almost looks like the Neomeris annulata are sprouting from those little green hairy patches. Any idea if it starts out like that, or maybe it's just coincidence?

there is a different species of neomeris that has more pronounced whorls like that, but even neomeris annulata has them with a close enough picture. I think you are probably right and it is likely doing that like you are saying. I haven't had the chance to learn much about this macro, I really like it though. I think this is the first time I got to see a close up of a rock with it sprouting, that is a really detailed picture.