good hair algae eater 30g cube

ost911

in going to my lfs today to pick up somthing that will eat hair algae. i have very little but i dont want it to get out of control.

ive got a mixed reef with friendly fish, sixline, maroon clown, and a diamond goby.

any sugestions guys>?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
why add more bio load? more housekeeping and water changes would serve you better, and pick up your socks lol

ost911

ive got a skimmer, and do 8gal wc a week. would more flow help me any? my lfs is holding an mp10 for me for 100$ used shoud i pick it up today?

ost911

ive got prob 10 turbo snails, 6 nas, and 6 red legs.

also i run my mh 11 hours a day. and keep my temp at 77.

ost911

why add more bio load? more housekeeping and water changes would serve you better, and pick up your socks lol

sas i get enough flack from the girlfriend about my socks! she says its almost like a game to her now, something like wheres waldo but with socks mahahaha

DaveK

Since you already have a decent clean up crew. I'd stick with what you have, rather than add another fish that may or may not eat the algae you have. Jeep in mind, fish are like little kids, when it comes to eating algae or food. First they eat all of their favorite, then all their second favorite and so on. If the algae you have is their equivalent of brussel sprouts, they may never eat it.

Then look to controlling nitrates and phosphates as the way to control algae.

steved13

PREMIUM
sas i get enough flack from the girlfriend about my socks! she says its almost like a game to her now, something like wheres waldo but with socks mahahaha

You have to excuse him, something about sasquatch and a thread about getting rid of hair. :D

TylerHaworth

I'd cut the lighting back a few hours actually. Also, how old is your halide bulb and any other supplemental lighting?

Have you tested your source water for nitrates and phosphates?

What skimmer are you running?

PS - Increasing the flow likely won't help, butif you don't get that MP10 I'm gonna do a search and pick it up for myself!

ost911

I'd cut the lighting back a few hours actually. Also, how old is your halide bulb and any other supplemental lighting?

Have you tested your source water for nitrates and phosphates?

What skimmer are you running?

PS - Increasing the flow likely won't help, butif you don't get that MP10 I'm gonna do a search and pick it up for myself!

ive already got dibs on it!!!

skimmer wise im running an aquaticlife mini skimmer, i figured it was good enough since i do weekly water change.

i will cut my lighting, should i cut it to 4 hrs a day?

TylerHaworth

It might be a bit under powered since only rated up to 30 gallons (Most usually cut that number in half for a skimmers realistic ability)

I wouldn't cut lighting that far, just down to about 8 hours per day... How old are the bulbs?

Source water?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
have you ever seen a hairless Sasquatch? not pretty my friends, not pretty, Neanderthal Metro Men

ost911

It might be a bit under powered since only rated up to 30 gallons (Most usually cut that number in half for a skimmers realistic ability)

I wouldn't cut lighting that far, just down to about 8 hours per day... How old are the bulbs?

Source water?

my bulb is 5-6 months old

i use ro/di for wc and tap for evap. btw i have pretty good water. abd its ran through a faucet filter thing.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
ost911 said:
my bulb is 5-6 months old

i use ro/di for wc and tap for evap. btw i have pretty good water. abd its ran through a faucet filter thing.

Is it RO/DI or through a facet filter? Two very different things. Facet filters like britta and pur are usually just a carbon filter.

And test the water anyway. Even filtered water can show spikes of stuff in it.

....Secret Super Hero....

ost911

no lol ro/di from a friend, and the lfs im gonna break down and get my own unit but i live in a garage apt and dont get to use the garage. so i dont really have anywhere to mount the unit.

i use the britta thing when im out of ro/di just for evap replacement. and ive checked my water here and its pretty good, i borrowed a meter from mt lfs i forgot the readout it gave tho

TylerHaworth

Using tap water is like fueling the algae... And for what it's worth, all you need for a ro unit is a sink... I have mine in a big plastic tub and carry it from a closet to the bathroom whenever I need some water.

tekjunkie28

no lol ro/di from a friend, and the lfs im gonna break down and get my own unit but i live in a garage apt and dont get to use the garage. so i dont really have anywhere to mount the unit.

i use the britta thing when im out of ro/di just for evap replacement. and ive checked my water here and its pretty good, i borrowed a meter from mt lfs i forgot the readout it gave tho

I like in a apr too. Luckily I have a washer and dryer. Picked up a brass Y from lowes and I set my unit on the kitchen counter and put my bucket and dirty water line in the sink. Make water every Saturday and wc Sunday although I missed yesterdays due to a solid night of drinking. Lol.