Good bye, Mr. Spock

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I'm a huge Trek fan, and I'm very sad to hear the news of Leonard Nimoy's passing today. He was 83.

I find it very appropriate to share this quote from my favorite Star Trek movie, The Wrath of Khan:

"Kirk: We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

Rest in peace, Mr. Spock. [emoji26]

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am stunned. No, not by a phaser! During my darkest hours growing up in some pretty bad places, star trek was an oasis for me.
He was like family and I will always "remember" him as a sign of hope for the future.
Now, I wonder if Shatner is going to steal a space shuttle and go bring him back!
Keep the cheer! Dear Leonard Nimoy would want it so.
Long live his memory!

Pat24601

Leonard Nemoy somehow brought a thoughtfulness, dignity, and intelligence to the series that rose above the character Spock. I think it's no accident he was the only one of the original cast to have a role in the new movies.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Edited your post Mayja, a picture from one of the astronaut Terry W. Verts aboard the space station tweeted today.
Thought it would be a good header for this thread.

Basile

We lost an Icon today

10959572_1191047267591391_3389933237358464509_n.png

DaveK

Edited your post Mayja, a picture from one of the astronaut Terry W. Verts aboard the space station tweeted today.
Thought it would be a good header for this thread.

While I think you heart is in the right place, I feel that a moderator editing a post, other that for violation of RS terms of service, or a material defect is rather presumptuous.

In effect you are changing material posted by one person that may or may not reflect their own views.

A better solution would have been for you to post the image in your own post, or suggest to Mayja that the picture be added to the original post.

Frankie

RS STAFF
While I think you heart is in the right place, I feel that a moderator editing a post, other that for violation of RS terms of service, or a material defect is rather presumptuous.

In effect you are changing material posted by one person that may or may not reflect their own views.

A better solution would have been for you to post the image in your own post, or suggest to Mayja that the picture be added to the original post.
You are correct. Thanks for pointing out that.
I corrected it.

Last edited:

Basile

Just so you know i think you're both right, i loved the header picture it encoured me to put mine up and it was very inspiring and with a hopefull look at the futur it seemed. A link between us and the futur. Their's no wrong in sharing in grief specially with us Trekker, or Trekkies, lol depending on your degree lol. If you want to know the difference it here at the bottom of this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fandom

Oxylebius

Saw this, thought it is a nice tribute.

February 27, 2015
NASA Administrator Remembers Leonard Nimoy
The following is a statement from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden on the passing of Leonard Nimoy:

“Leonard Nimoy was an inspiration to multiple generations of engineers, scientists, astronauts, and other space explorers. As Mr. Spock, he made science and technology important to the story, while never failing to show, by example, that it is the people around us who matter most.

“NASA was fortunate to have him as a friend and a colleague. He was much more than the Science Officer for the USS Enterprise. Leonard was a talented actor, director, philanthropist, and a gracious man dedicated to art in many forms.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the legions of Star Trek fans around the world.”

-end-

Statement from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden on the passing of Leonard Nimoy.
http://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/february/nasa-administrator-remembers-leonard-nimoy/#.VPScXfnF-AQ

Frankie

RS STAFF
Ok, trek trivia,
What is the name of the first ship to intercept the probe on Star Trek the Voyage Home?
No googling!