Glenn's Reef RSM 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Steve & Ed !

Thanks Leigh - I do plan to give it a go ... running stock... hope to have the success Reggie and a few others have had.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Think I will go with 4" DSB (Deep Sand Bed) this time of CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

This grade of aragonite is specifically engineered for plenum-type nitrate reducing beds or anywhere a deeper bed is called for. The pore water space created by precision grading also allows maximum pH support and dissolution of calcium carbonate.

CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

imaccat

Looks like a good choice Glenn, I have the caribsea seaflor special grade sand and I'm very pleased with it

tnwillia

Any thoughts on a black sand bed Glenn? There are a couple different types out there, both I think are Carib-Sea.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Question all ... if you go with s DSB (deep sand bed 4 to 6") say rather than a 1" or 2" sand bed, do you think this allow you to use less LR (Live Rock), if so, would you think a DSB would allow you to use 10% less LR? Anyone know or read anything related?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tom I did look at the black & pink too... lfs carries all the Carib-Sea sands for sale, I really like the whiteness of this sand, so bright white, makes the tank look very bright & I really like that... Carib-Sea only makes one sand that is whiter & that is a sugar sand, but it's to fine in size.

tnwillia

Understood, I've read lots of threads on people having problems with the sugar sand because it's so so fine. Looking forward to seeing it build up!

redsea reefer

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just got off the phone talking to Pinky (Red Sea USA - my 1st time to talk to her, in near 2 years now, I never needed to have any parts or warranty work on my 130D) very nice lady, my 250 ships tomorrow.

She told me to call her tomorrow after noon & she will be able to tell me exactly when I will get it, said it could be this Friday, but might be early next week.... hoping it's Friday
050.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Interesting read Eddie - thanks for sharing... do you not think a 4" dsb is of any benefit? I have a 2 1/2" one now & lots say... go 1" or 4"

hmmmm... I need to think on this some more... do think I would like some fish like a jawfish one day, one reason I was thinking 4", really more than the DSB benefit.

Anyone else have any thoughts related they would be willing to share. (no wrong answers with me, just input & I appericate all)

redsea reefer

I don't really know Glenn. I read stuff that say DSB are bad and some that say they are good, majority of it saying bad over time. I guess if you want a Jawfish then you would need a 4in base. I just googled "deep sand beds". Time for some research...:)

tnwillia

Wonder if she can tell you which skimmer pump it will ship with?

Are you going to keep diggers? My sand bed started out at 2.5" everywhere. Between my Pistol and digging fish i"ve got everything from 1" to at least 6" in places thru my tank and it moves and changes positions as they do. Have fun!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the feedback guys !

I just got a PM from davek (I ask him for his thoughts) he shared this with me...

The bacterial activity taking place in a deep sand bed is mostly anaerobic (without oxygen). This is opposite what happens with live rock, which is aerobic (with oxygen). So you should not decrease the amount of live rock on the basis of sand bed depth.

I don't think I would be making a mistake if I went with 2 1/2" Tom & if I get borrowing fish like you did they could re-arrange it - that depth works for me now.

I got to do some more thinking & homework here... was nice to learn I don't need to add less LR, just because one goes with a DSB... now I am thinking less might be better... hmmmmm

All advise... appericated... I don't think there a real wrong answer... my 2 1/2" sand bed I have now works... just thinking, now that I have a chance to start over... is there a better way
009.gif

tnwillia

+1^, Put the rock in and get the aquascape you want. I've probably taken 20 lbs out from DT or into the Fuge to open up sand area. It was OK for me cause it was Dry rock I started with and no big deal adding or subtracting the first few months. You can always reuse what ever you pull out later. I just set it on the back porch and let it dry out again till needed.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm far from an experienced reefer, but I agree with Eddie and Tom. I started with a bed of 2-3 inches and by the time the vortech was installed and the sleeper goby did his thing, my sand bed is all over the place.