Glenn's Reef RSM 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Glenn's Reef RSM 250

After a lot of thinking about it and being inspired by our RSM club 250 owners (plus the fact that I have had great success with my wonderful 130D and having decided my room just would not fit a RSM 500) today I just purchased a new reef tank, a Rea Sea Max 250
009.gif

Very excited ... as this upgrade will allow my currently very crowded corals more space, the option to add more and possibly (bigger fish), the fun of starting up a new tank (with a better knowledge base than my first tank) and getting to add more corals under the 250s T5 lights.

Any advise will be much solicited and any words of wisdom will be much appericated !

I bought it from the same place that I bought mt 1st RSM 130D, thatpetplace (serving pet owners and hobbyists since 1973) just put the RSM 250 on sale 10% off with coupon code "saveten", been waiting for this... I like good deals.

Product Item # Max 250 Aquarium Kit - Black - FREE SHIPPING
$1,529.99 Max 250 Aquarium Kit - Black - FREE SHIPPING | Aquarium Kits | Aquarium Kits & Fish Tanks | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Last edited:

tnwillia

Hey Glenn, saw you talking about a Nem in another thread. If your looking that way plan your 250 for it from the start. I can't add one in my tank because of my rockwork and sand area. I figure if I did he would tear up everything I've got now finding a happy spot for himself if he could find one. Good luck!

imaccat

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Congratulations, thats a great price compared to what we have to pay, the cheapest this side of the pond is the equivalent of about $2000

clka

Alright Glenn! You got a great deal....

Lose a daughter (to marriage), get a 250 :) Must be those nurturing instincts!

Cheryl

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - congratulations Glenn! I didn't think it was ever going to happen. Good deal on it too! Best wishes on the new 250 journey. :clink: :dance: :spinner: :woohoo: :thumbup:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks everyone for congrats & the good wishes ! Thanks Terry for the cool pic !

I am thinking what rock to order now... leaning on getting an order of Marco Rock headed this way as a base.
KeyLargo-Cape%20thumb.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
What's your thoughts on how many pounds of Marco Rock would be perfect for a RSM 250?

I know depending on how porous ones rock is will determine this, but would love some feedback on how much you consider ideal? Thinking I really kind of like a more open look, but want to make sure I get enough to handle the bio-load too.

imaccat

What's your thoughts on how many pounds of Marco Rock would be perfect for a RSM 250?

This was the advice I received from a very helpful person when I started my 250! LOL
RE: LR - about 1 & 1/2 pounds per gallon - is a good general rule, depending on how dense the LR is. I love Tonga Branch, but it has become kind of hard to get. I would try to order from a vendor with a good track record.

Max250

Congratulations, Glenn!

I'm redesigning my 250 with a far more open look with a large sand bed, using just 11kg of dry rock.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing you set it all up...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Tammy & Max250

Iain
1002.gif
thanks for the nice compliment - I am already finding I am asking personal opinion "look" questions
1043.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn - any date of delivery yet? Have you thought about how you'll work setting up the 250 with the 130 still running, or will you keep both tanks going for a while? I'll bet you have a million things on your mind now!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for asking Terry - I don't have a delivery date yet, but sure it will be this week.

I really have not thought it all through yet, do know I want the new tank where my current one is... so my 1st challenge is going to be to move the 130D to the other side of the room to a temp location & setup the new 250 in it's current place. If I get my tank this week, I plan on building the cabinet this weekend.

My current thinking is... all new sand & rock, then letting the new tank cycle for a couple of months, then moving over the coral & fish slowly.

Trying to decide on sand & rock, so I can start cycling. Leaning toward using Marco Dry Rock and then add a couple pieces of new LR. I kind of really like the "open look" some members have done... like big wide sand bed up front, where lots of corals can live in the sand...

I am not very good at design & aquascape... but I do know when I see others tanks that look pretty to me, hope to incorporate some of thier deign elements.

Any suggestions from anyone - much appreciated.