GlennF's reefing heaven!

glennf

These corals recovered completely and are now in full growth.
562bb91d71814c6ae25f18de6726b38d.jpg
799d6c7155a7f881478ecab426463e67.jpg

This was the starting point:
f11272e9d307e20010d1df7814ec2c15.jpg

Blue Space

I can pretty much tell when it's time for a water change, based upon coloration of some of the more sensitive coral in my system because they start showing signs first. You're right, it is amazing what some coral can come back from.

glennf

I can pretty much tell when it's time for a water change, based upon coloration of some of the more sensitive coral in my system because they start showing signs first. You're right, it is amazing what some coral can come back from.
I never do waterchanges.

Which corals are your indicators and what signs do they show?

glennf

One of the classic pastel colored corals.
Some hate them because:
- They can overtake the tank.
- or they can't keep the colors bright pink.
- or they keep dying on them
- or they are "too common"

I love them because they are easy and just beautifull!

9d8b589b3f5ad98c7c792a2a6fa299b8.jpg
5ff6358f669d94e0e752352a1c005763.jpg
fa5722a5f3c666ad915b3bd60a829479.jpg
3023d2c6b86bd6e4d5e2512644582c76.jpg

Blue Space

Beautiful... as always. :)

So you don't do water changes these days... What is DSR in your signature? Are you doing ICP testing and supplementing all trace elements too?

glennf

Beautiful... as always. :)

So you don't do water changes these days... What is DSR in your signature? Are you doing ICP testing and supplementing all trace elements too?
I've been a reefer since 2004 and never did waterchanges in any om my tanks.
Unlike most nowadays i don't don ICP also.
I like to take control myself and keep it simple.
Read these 4 articles and you will understand what i do and how it evolved in time

Advanced aquararist 2013: https://reefs.com/2013/06/26/glennfs-1500-liter-reef-using-hisdsr-method/

Read about it Reef Hobbyist Magazine Q1 2014:
"A flourishing reef" starting @page4
https://issuu.com/reefhobbyistmagazine/docs/7d3d5bcad324d3edc08e40738e663554-q1/4 11

Advanced aquarist 2017, article by Leonard Ho: https://reefs.com/glenn-fongs-peninsula-style-reef-tank-is-otherworldly/

EZ550reef featuring on RHM issue Q2 2019. starting @page14
https://issuu.com/reefhobbyistmagazine/docs/190414173416-12100e1c8e5b4daeac5f6aa0c0db4c34/1 4

DSR = Dutch Synthetic Reefing
The sustainable way of reefkeeping i developed and shared with the reefing community since 2012.

Now there are 3 reefing systems developed and communicated with the community.
FullDSR (full method) - DSR EZ (4part) - EZ2Go (2part)

This is the DSR historical site
Www.DSRreefing.nl

This is the official DSR site

Last edited:

Blue Space

So, it means Dutch Synthetic Reefing.

You designed your own synthetic salt! You discovered and honed your own reef keeping methodology! You even brought a goniopora colony back from the dead (documented on RS) -just WOW!!

Lots of good info there... Says you're working on an English version of your calculator. Nice! How's that coming along my friend?
1663380228555.png

I'm definitely reading up on it.... but for now I'm still going to try Tropic Marin All-For-Reef since it's supposed to be a single solution for maintaining alk, cal, mg, and trace elements. However, once I'm up and running in the new tank for a while I'll know better what the true cost is.

Thanks kindly for sharing, Glenn!

Blue

Last edited:

glennf

So, it means Dutch Synthetic Reefing.

You designed your own synthetic salt! You discovered and honed your own reef keeping methodology! You even brought a goniopora colony back from the dead (documented on RS) -just WOW!!

Lots of good info there... Says you're working on an English version of your calculator. Nice! How's that coming along my friend?
View attachment 51161

I'm definitely reading up on it.... but for now I'm still going to try Tropic Marin All-For-Reef since it's supposed to be a single solution for maintaining alk, cal, mg, and trace elements. However, once I'm up and running in the new tank for a while I'll know better what the true cost is.

Thanks kindly for sharing, Glenn!

Blue
Thanks for dropping by. The method was inspired by talking with reefers like yourself. All those chats reproduced a solution.
This sulphate correction calculator was developed for a few dutch fullDSR followers who wanted to balance theirs Sulphur level, besides them there was no real demand for the translation. I guess it was to complex for the average reefer, so i didn't put any time in it anymore.

Instead of that i evaluated the fullDSR method and ended up with the DSR EZ dosing system, which supplied the sulphate and there was no more need for manual corrections.

All in one supplements are appealing to start with, because they suppose to be easy especially when you combine it with some waterchanges.
Once you startstocking more Fish and SPS corals and they start to grow, the dynamic of the tank changes. it then requires some more tweaking to get from a nice tank to a great tank.

Last edited:

glennf

Colors are awesome!

AMAZING?
Due to a faulty phosphate test the Phosphate level has been ramped up to 0,90ppm!
Normaly i would target PO4 at 0,03-0,06ppm

Some Acropora's are more beautifull than ever!
Is this the way to go?
92d1521fdadb5e5e96fd578903cc296e.jpg
b9000f8b17bbf272b5cd635d686e2d27.jpg

Last edited:

Blue Space

Well that makes sense that more nutrients equals better color but as always, you can have too much of a good thing.

Interesting how the coral right next to it still has the same appearance. Perhaps it's a different type?

glennf

Well that makes sense that more nutrients equals better color but as always, you can have too much of a good thing.

Interesting how the coral right next to it still has the same appearance. Perhaps it's a different type?
As we observe here some corals do appear to thrive and color better with higher phosphate than we assume to be healthy.

Which corals are you refering to?

Blue Space

As we observe here some corals do appear to thrive and color better with higher phosphate than we assume to be healthy.

Which corals are you refering to?
In this photo, it appears to be two different corals. They look very similar but one is much deeper purple than the one behind it. Though, both look beautiful and healthy.

1663941591149.png