GlennF's reefing heaven!

glennf

Sorry I ruined the surprise of the reveal. The whole dosing thing really scares me, been putting it off, but my sps are taking off and I really should start to figure that all out.....so as I said, been reading up on every article that I can find on dosing methods....saw yours - what a surprise!

no harm done, i would have revealed it sooner or later.

what if told you i don't do any water changing ?

glennf

my red menella with yellow polyps is wait for it's meal

11530627955_c500e8c3c9_b.jpg

Oxylebius

what if told you i don't do any water changing ?

I read that in the article. I know some who have been able to claim success w/no water changes - all filtration and dosing to keep WQ params w/in range. But, rarely can they claim success as long as you 8+ years...... it is one thing to be able to have a tank w/no water changes for a year, two, or even three, but that is not the same as 8+ years w/out issue (well, that part of the story you haven't revealed yet, the challenges/failures/lessons learned to be successful....). I will tag along this thread anticipating those types of stories.

glennf

I read that in the article. I know some who have been able to claim success w/no water changes - all filtration and dosing to keep WQ params w/in range. But, rarely can they claim success as long as you 8+ years...... it is one thing to be able to have a tank w/no water changes for a year, two, or even three, but that is not the same as 8+ years w/out issue (well, that part of the story you haven't revealed yet, the challenges/failures/lessons learned to be successful....). I will tag along this thread anticipating those types of stories.

Who is that person ? i like to learn about his way to compare notes, does he have a tank thread ?

These are my thread from my home forum, every step of the development in DSR is documented meticulously from the start.

my tank thread with the beginning of the DSR development traject
http://zeewaterforum.info/forums/sh...enn-s-Aquaria-Verzameling&p=845522#post845522

my DSR thread
http://zeewaterforum.info/forums/sh...-Methode-(Dutch-Synthetic-Reefing)&highlight=

its all in dutch , so use a translator , like google translate.

Oxylebius

No one I know personally, over the past ten years or so reading online forums I have constantly heard people say they never do a water change. When asked how long they've had their tank and not done water changes, they tend to say a year or so. When asked if they dose, many said they did. But, the challenge is that water changes replenish many different nutrients, not just the standard ones, and water changes help diminish nutrients and toxins (as we are all aware). I was also able to follow a few and eventually they tended to see die off of critters in their tank, never lasted very long w/success when not doing water changes. If you are that curious I can see if I can track down some of them via the search function, they are on a different forum that I am part of so I will PM you, if I can successfully find any. I'm sure you would like to share notes. Seems there are very few who have been successful for very long w/o water changes.

glennf

No one I know personally, over the past ten years or so reading online forums I have constantly heard people say they never do a water change. When asked how long they've had their tank and not done water changes, they tend to say a year or so. When asked if they dose, many said they did. But, the challenge is that water changes replenish many different nutrients, not just the standard ones, and water changes help diminish nutrients and toxins (as we are all aware). I was also able to follow a few and eventually they tended to see die off of critters in their tank, never lasted very long w/success when not doing water changes. If you are that curious I can see if I can track down some of them via the search function, they are on a different forum that I am part of so I will PM you, if I can successfully find any. I'm sure you would like to share notes. Seems there are very few who have been successful for very long w/o water changes.

Thanks for your reply.
Running the tank for years without wc only a calcium reactor and nu ttace elemenent was not a problem at all for soft corals. Even LPS did fine.
Doing it with SPS is another ball game.

By own experience, adsorbing, analyzing information from others and experimenting with raw chemicals i reach this level. I have a few chemical in the pipeline which i need te experiment with but did not yet, because i see no benefit for it with current inhabitants.

My next goal is keeping a spider sponge alive. For that i know i need to do "something extra".

greetings, GlennF

glennf

the artical says ur tank is 1500L. Is it 400 gallons or 300 gallons?

Tank it self is 1188 liter~ 315 gallons, All connecting tanks, refugium and sump make a total of 1500 liter ~ 395 gallons.
So in water calculation is use 1500 liters.

greetings, GlennF

glennf

WOW!! Very cool!

he is twice his normal size

older picture with his normal size
10194152835_d32e3229d7_b.jpg

Here you can see what my chelmon rostratus did with the bottom of the favia on the left.
He has been in the tank for 6 weeks and damaged a few buttons, 2 favia's and an acanthastrea.
he tested my patience and at last i removed him last week

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If they can't play nice they need to go! Very nice Scoly pics.

Do you carbon dose, bio pellets or vinegar?

glennf

I gave him enough chance , i warned him serveral time, he didn't listen:mad:, so he had to go ....:(

greetings, GlennF

glennf

i use own blends of:
iron to reduced phosphate (and party nitrate)
sugar vinegar to reduce nitrate (and party phosphate)

glennf

movie of my fish feeding on one full nori sheet tied to a stone

vieuw in 1080p

[video=youtube_share;n6eW3AHtj5Y]http://youtu.be/n6eW3AHtj5Y[/video]