Gimmito's 450 L-shaped display

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Jim, great video! Are you just trying to clear the water with the filter or are there other benefits?

gimmito

Hey Jim, great video! Are you just trying to clear the water with the filter or are there other benefits?

Initially I started using it to help rid any free floating protozoans (such as ich). I also carbon dose which can make the tank cloudy at times and it clears it right up. It also has a attachmen to siphon out the sand bed. A added bonus is it helps with CO2 gas exchange.

gimmito

I've dosed carbon (vodka/vinegar) for a while now with varied success to keep nitrates in check. Based on some friends in the hobby recommendations, I thought I'd try a H&S sulfur denitrator to help control nitrates. I'm starting off at a drip per second and will adjust accordingly. I'll report periodically how it goes.

gimmito

Thought I was subscribed here before. Good to see an update.
Any idea what your nitrate runs without the reactor running?

Thanks for sticking with the thread during a my absence from posting. ;)

I just starting running the reactor, so I can't give you a number for nitrates. I typically get a 40-80 ppm nitrate reading when not any running anything....I have some large tangs!

gimmito

20160110_153250.jpg
20160110_153250.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I picked up some rbtas....hoping to add more clowns for them down the line.

gimmito

Update on the sulfur denitrator. I'm getting a reading of 10 ppm or less. I also increased the drip rate to 4-5 drips per second. I suspect the rapid drop in nitrates is due to the fact there was already existing bacteria in the water from the carbon dosing.