getting turned off with tank. need help please!

For the past month I have been fighting with algae and I'm getting sick of it to the point where I want to quit! I've tried everything! I did a water change, began feeding less, and I even turned lights off for 3 straight days. Nothing has helped! What is going on? I've had the tank for about a year and would go through these algae spurts but would only last a few days. It has been a month now and can't seem to fix it. What can I do?

fruit bat

What type of algae is it? Cyanobacteria can be syphoned off, I did this on a daily basis which also acted as a partial water change. How much are you feeding, you don't have a lot of fish stock so a lot of feeding isn't required. Make sure your skimmer is working well and keep up the water changes you will soon solve the problem

Acanman

Can u post some pics?
How often do you test your water parameters?
What are your water parameters?
Nitrate, phosphates, alk. I would also test ph towards the end of light cycle and at the beginning.
Dont give up. The juice is worth the squeeze. Guaranteed you can resolve.
Dont use Prime or any of those chemical quick fixes.

RedSeaHorse

Have you got a magnet glass cleaner or cleaning crew yet? As well as avoiding direct sunlight through windows, make sure the sun isn't reflecting off any mirrors or glass and bouncing onto your tank. Hang in there, it will work out:)

I did notice that things went bad after using the Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI unit. Up until then I was going to the LFS everytime. I imagine the RO/DO water is just as good as the LFS! Also, I have used the pin bottle to silence the skimmer recently but the skimmer is still working perfectly.
Can it be my lights? they're about 6 months old.
I even bought a bunch of snails to help control the algae. But hasn't helped... Ill post pics tonight.

I was going to suggest lights, but 6 months isn't that bad. Cyano is usually caused by lights and overfeeding. What type of food do you use? If it's frozen, defrost it on a paper towel first or rinse it before putting it in your tank. Other than that, I would continue with the siphoning and water changes. You could also start replacing the bulbs. I don't know what brand you are using, but maybe they have already started shifting their spectrum to the level that cyano likes. I can't imagine it's the new RO/DI unit, but if nothing else helps, go back to using the lfs just to see if that was the cause. I guess it's possible that you got a bad resin cartridge or something, but I've never heard of an RO/DI unit causing cyano.