Getting the itch again

Talon33

Hey all, I haven't been on the forum in awhile but I used to be very frequent on the forum. Anyways, I still have my 125 gallon tank. It is stocked with South American Cichlids (convict, oscar, Rotkeil Severum, Super red severum, Firemouth). I love this tank and have done some pretty decent work renovating my tank and plumbing and such, (Hard Plumbed with PVC, Added 55 gallon sump, Refinished stand and canopy, Painted inside stand white and sealed it, put some durso standpipes in etc.) After all this however it still just isnt the same. I really miss the saltwater life. I am about the graduate with my bachelors, work for a bit as a pharm tech and then apply for pharmacy school but I will be living at home so in a few short months I will be back home instead of away for college and I think I may be able to handle a FOWLR tank now. Still can't do the reef, just to much expense and maintenance. However I can afford to buy the little equipment I need to get started again and do like 20 gallon weekly water changes I think. Only thing I need for sure would be a skimmer, maybe a powerhead or two. I have a LED light, Mag 18 drive as well. You guys can let me know if you think this is feasible. Also maybe some suggestions on a stock list would be awesome as well. I want to stay close to reef fish. I am thinking something like this:
1 tang
1 butterfly
Blue throat trigger
2 Clowns
Flame angel
and a firefish or blenny
Not sure if this stocking list would work or not or if it will be to much, just help my get back in the swing of things guys, Thanks!

DaveK

... I am about the graduate with my bachelors, work for a bit as a pharm tech and then apply for pharmacy school but I will be living at home so in a few short months ...

That about says it all.

Before you get involved in SW again, figure out what your going to be doing about all the other things in your life. Once that gets worked out, then consider a SW system. If you just got to do something now, set up a small nano, and make it a real gem.

As for what you plan with the tank, there is no reason this can't work. Your plans are reasonable. I am assuming your going to convert the Cichlid tank to SW. I think a good skimmer and some circulation pumps should be all the equipment you need. You'll also need some live rock or dry base rock of some sort.

Talon33

This would be something I could do in a month at the earliest so it is no rush at all. I have been doing my undergraduate about 2 hours away from the house and coming home on the weekends to do maintenance and such. Family feeds the fish throughout the week. This has been enough for my South American tank and it has done great. I tried it with a reef tank and I was constantly a nervous wreck about it and without a decent amount of income coming in it really just wasn't practical. However, now I am coming back home and will be working for about a year as a pharm tech to build experience and what not so I believe I can take on the SW world again. Even, when and if I get into pharmacy school I will still be living at home which makes all the difference in the world to myself. With that being said I think I may just keep an eye out for some equipment, rock, and such to start gathering what I need to take the plunge again.