Getting sand from my local beach?

oc reefer

Ok so im starting a new 55gal tank and i had an idea, since i live in SoCal 10 min from the beach to go and get some sand there. I know some of you are going to blast me, however i figure that there are a few things i can do to purify the sand from parasites (ie.... RO bath, Freeze the sand, strain out any of the larger particles).

I could save myself around $100. Also i think it would be cool to have real socal sand in my tank. Ok start the blasting.......

ReefLady

Staff member
Well, I won't blast you, but I wouldn't do it. IF you do decide to do it, I would first sift the sand looking for any obvious particles of non-sand material. I would then boil the sand, then rinse with RO and dry. I would then run a strong magnet through it to try to eliminate any metal particles.

Also, I may be wrong, but I'm not sure the sand is oolitic (round) like true reef/aragonite sand. Basically this just means that sand dwelling critters won't find it as "comfortable" to live in. Not sure on the validity of that, though.

michael_cb_125

Much of the sand found on local beaches, is not aragonite sand. Around here much of our sand is quartz based.

~Michael

Luukosian

If you can find a clean beach and sterilize the sand.....but you also have to think of contaminates that cant be removed by boiling/freezing ect.(heavy metals, pesticides and so forth). I'm sure it will probably be ok and you wouldn't have problems but for sake of argument heres a link....

http://oehha.ca.gov/fish/pdf/SoCal91.pdf

oc reefer

TYVM everyone! This is the kind of info i was looken for, I LOVE THE REEF SANCTUARY!

And that contanimate study is scary, i just saw one talken about the sea lions off our local coast are all still contanimated with DDT from the 70's.

Its a real damn shame the way people treat the ocean! People also forget that about 70% of the worlds oxygen is produced from the ocean and not our rain forrests.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's something I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole. No sense in risking EVERYTHING in your tank to save $100 on sand. If that amount is a show stopper then you're going to CRAP when you see how much the GOOD stuff costs :)

In all seriousness there is no telling what you might introduce into your system that will have long-term effects. Just not worth it.

Luukosian

Yeah that ddt and chlordane was some bad stuff. They use a lot more responsible chemicals that break down a lot quicker now. That and the laws are a lot stricter on how you use them, instead of just spraying it around like its air freshner.

Like al said though, your better off starting with some quality calcium based sand and will probably be happier in the long run. If a fish randomly dies on you 6 months from now...in the back of your mind will always be...was it the sand?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
TYVM everyone! This is the kind of info i was looken for, I LOVE THE REEF SANCTUARY!

And that contanimate study is scary, i just saw one talken about the sea lions off our local coast are all still contanimated with DDT from the 70's.

Its a real damn shame the way people treat the ocean! People also forget that about 70% of the worlds oxygen is produced from the ocean and not our rain forrests.

DDT is accumulative so it's going to be around in the "Food Chain" for many years to come. I suspect it will "Pop Up" again on UP the food chain.

Remember that "All life leads to the ocean at some point" so anything we do on land will end up in the OCEAN! That's scary!!

rmlevasseur

I hate to get on a high horse but I do think that eventually our oceans will be preserved by people like us. In fact, its already being done. In Japan there is a huge effort to recolonize a reef with cultured specimens.

I also believe that within the next 2-10 years so much will no longer be available to us as hobbysists.