Getting Around the New Site Layout

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
First thing, and most important for you to get around, is the main nav. See the pic.

index.php

Home: Portal page, has latest posts, some user info, today's birthdays, etc.

Forums: Click on this to see a list of all our forums, to browse by forum (for example, General Reef Aquarium Discussion)

Shoutbox: This is our live chatroom. Again, we are testing this feature to see how it works with the community.

Media: Photo and video gallery. You can create an album, upload photos to categories, and share the images on RS or elsewhere (please use responsibly).

Members: There are a lot of social features now on RS that start here. Tag/follow people, check out their profile pages, build out your profile page, etc. New stuff here that might take some getting used to!

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
Think about the above main navigation items as TABS - click on the word and it is active, and the submenu below changes based on the active tab. In the screenshot, "Home" is the active tab. So the submenu below it (mark forums read, search forums, etc) is unique to that tab. The submenu will be different if you click "Media."

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
Here's another really good tip... in the top-right of the site is a little flag. That's your "alerts", and it tells you all kinds of good stuff... like when someone "likes" a post of yours, or when someone mentions you @nanoreefing4fun like that (good way to call someone's attention to a thread), someone posts in a thread you started or subscribed to, etc.

Screenshot 2015-02-12 at 08.40.47 PM.png

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This gives me the feeling of going from a small home town (that I'm comfortable in) to a BIG CITY. :eeknew:
Kinda scary o_O
And a little confusing :ponder2:

I appreciate all the tips. :thumbup:
I hope everyone (especially Me :yup: ) gets it figured out so we can get back to giving each other the same good :help: and support with our reef tanks as the previous RS Forum gave me when I joined it. :grouphug5:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:bump: anyone new have any questions, feel free to ask... (or old) we are all still learning - no "dumb questions" and RS is flame free :clownfish::bluetang::crab4:

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
Hi all!

Just wanted to check, do any of you guys know why our signature does not automatically appear when we post something? (We always have to copy & paste).

Thanks in advance!

SF