Geisman Fixture Repair/replacement parts

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
About a year ago, i picked up a Geisman 48" Fixture, model ????, 2x250 w MH + 2 x 54 w T5HO. It has a single ballast box, with two cords going to the fixture. 1 More cord going directly to the Fixture? (possibly for the T5HO). About a month ago, both the T5ho started having a Delay to the startup. I Flip the switch to the powerstrip, and the MH's Came on and started heating up, but it may be 2-3 min before the T5HO Came on. A Week Ago, they quit coming on at all. I assume because it was BOTH bulbs acting up that its the Ballast. Now this morning, my wife told me the MH Didnt fire up. She tested the powerstrip, checked the plugins etc. No dice. The fixture is totally dead.

My questions are:

Is the T5HO ballast internal to the fixture? What brand would be recommended for the replacement. 2 54W bulbs.
the External Ballast(which has 2 cords going to the fixture) is for the 2 x 250 w MH Bulbs, HQI. What brand would be recommended?

Should i say screw it? Not attempt to rebuild/repair the fixture, and just go with something else? I have a 6bulb t5ho - aquatic life brand - that needs 1 of 3 ballasts replaced, + 6 new bulbs.

Which would be the safer way to go?

DaveK

You can usually repair MH and T5's with off the shelf parts. Ballast replacement is usually not too difficult. Make sure you are knowledgeable and comfortable working around electricity.

MH Electronic ballasts cost more, but will pay for themselves long term. They draw a lot less power.

When I was using MH, if I had a problem, I'd first replace the bulbs. If I was wrong, it was no big deal because I would use the bulbs sooner or later anyway.

Take the fixture apart and see what ballast was there originally. You might be able to find an exact replacement. In any case, you'll need to find a ballast that will fit in the same space, or mount the ballast externally. You could also try contacting the manufacturer.

I think either way would be about as safe, since you need to replace one or more ballasts in either case.

You also might look into a replacement fixture since they come with bulbs in most cases and you'd get new ballasts. That might not be much more expensive.

Another alternative, if you want to spend the money is getting LED lighting, but that's got a high initial cost.