GE Silicone I question.

Cannoy

I bought GE Silicone I for putting walls in my sump because I read everywhere that this is what people use. After reading the label I see that it says not for aquarium use. Is it really not safe?

StirCrayzy

Silicone 1 is Safe, and has been used in tanks for years. I think they print that on the label for liability purposes.

If I were building an entire tank, I would use something stronger, but for sumps and small projects it's plenty strong.

Cannoy

Ok. I actually put the sump together last night, says wait 24 hours for full cure so should sometime tomorrow be safe for me to fill the tank. I will be close to 48 hours after i put it together.

Varga

I've used GE1 with zero issues. 48 hours would be perfect, but also depends on how thick you applied it.

Squatch XXL

I have used it with no issues in the past. 2-4 days dry and cure time....the more the better....But I have gotten it wet without issue in less than 24 hours during an emergency issue.

DaveK

Some types of silicone have mold and mildew inhibitors in them. They should not be used in a reef tank. They are usually the products made for bathroom or kitchen use, where you might have mold or mildew.