GBTA help

MikeJerry

Hey guys.
This is my first post on this forum as I just had to leave ultimate reef cause the people that are on there judge people too much... Luckily I found this forum and it seems pretty great so I thought I'd give it a shot!

Anyway, my mates tank has cracked about three days ago and he had to do something with his livestock, and I ended up with his green bubble tip anemone.

My tank is just over a month old, it's a 44G eaReef, and yes before you guys say it, my tank is not mature.. But I'm the only one who was able to take his nem in for the time being, he's getting a new tank next week.
So I put the anemone in my tank on Wednesday night, and everything was fine. My params have been stable for about 3 weeks, been testing everyday to make sure and there's no swings.

My SG is 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - 0.1 (slowly bringing that down.)
PH - 8.2
Cal - 450
KH - 10/11 (got lost with the drops so not sure which one exactly)

But my question is, since I can't give this back to the LFS as they won't take livestock from their customers and I just want to be able to keep it alive till my mate can get everything sorted, I'm wondering if it's okay.

The base is bright red, and the tentacles have a slight green colour to them, I actually think this nem is bleached.. The lights he had weren't that great compared to mine.
The nem has been getting used to the tank, I didn't acclimate it to my lights and it was spitting zoo out, not large amounts but I got told that's normal as they acclimate

But I woke up this morning to see its mouth is open, and I'm just not sure if it's doing alright or not.
I haven't fed it yet cause i got told to wait a week for it to settle before thinking of feeding it.
I'll attach pictures and see what you guys think.
Is an open mouth normal when it's acclimating? It doesn't go inside out, and it looks swollen sometimes for like a minute and then It goes back to its usual shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

DaveK

I think you appraisal of the situation is correct. The anemone does look at least somewhat bleached. Overall your doing the best you can with what you have. Keep doing what you have been doing, monitor the water, and look for problems.

For the time being don't try to feed the anemone. They can go without food for some time. Keep a modest amount of flow going over it, and keep it in fairly dim light.

Look for signs of decay, This can be seeing what looks like wounds on it or a "white smoke" coming out of it. If in doubt, you can give it the smell test. A good anemone will smell bad. One that is dead or close to it will smell really foul and nasty. If that happens, discard it. A dead anemone can wipe out a tank.

I will add that even so, you might loose it. Anemones can be tricky under the best of circumstances. Good luck with it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Hopefully some can advise on the nem & best of luck !

Here is one link that may help too... a nem site with great advise
http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

index.php

MikeJerry

Okay, update:
It inflated a bit but the mouth is open even more. Quite concerned at the moment, I don't want it to die. My tank has been spotless for a long time and not had anything die yet, I'd hate to tell my friend that his nem died.

Here's what it looks like right now.

There's no stringy stuff coming out of its mouth, there's just some clear mucus coming out.
Super concerned, but once again; it could be due to acclimating itself right? It's stuck tight to the rock it's on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 19

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I agree with DaveK. The fact that it has a good hold of the rock is a good sign. Stressed and healthy anemones sometimes split. That's the first thing I thought of when looking at your last photo. My healthy nems inflate and deflate all the time. Good luck and keep us posted.

dbetts

Hey guys.
This is my first post on this forum as I just had to leave ultimate reef cause the people that are on there judge people too much... Luckily I found this forum and it seems pretty great so I thought I'd give it a shot!

Anyway, my mates tank has cracked about three days ago and he had to do something with his livestock, ...

I was just wondering what ended up happening? I am having a very similar thing happening to my GBT; the pictures look eerily similar. I know this was a while ago, but any updates you can share?