garf grunge

flyline

im looking at garf grunge online it looks like it would be somthing good for my tank cuz i used alot of marco rocks so i dont realy have a good pod population..has anyone used this stuff before and what did you think about it? im looking at geting some garf grunge and a bag of pods..thanks

DaveK

I've used garf grunge. It's a good way to seed LR or LS. If your going to also get pods, I'd order and add them a month or two after adding the garf grunge. If you have a long established tank, then you likely have plenty of grunge in there and don't need to add more.

ChrisOaty

I can't say much for the grunge, but is there a reason you're looking for a large pod population? Do you have or are looking to get a mandarin? If so, one of the best ways to get a good and sustainable pod population is to hide a refugium above the tank (perhaps in the hood). This way, gravity, not a powerhead, is feeding a constant flow of pods from a growing pod population from predators.

flyline

im just looking for a good diversity in my tank not just fish and inverts but all living benificial things, i feel like a succesful reef does have these things and when i was looking at the grunge it said it has benificial worms and stars snails ect..and with the pods i look at night with the lights off and i really dont see any and i think that some more wouldent hurt anything and no plans to get a mandarin

glampka

If you plan on using the grunge you should consider putting it where it can't be readily seen (behind rock structure), sump or just under your top layer of sand. As the name implies it's not the best looking stuff but it is full of life.

flyline

im not too worried about the "clean sand bed look" so that shouldent be a problem i sorta like the natural look of rubble and stuff mixed with the sand but im glad to hear its full of life cuz thats what im after...i think i might get some of this i will decide in a few days if i do i will let you all know what i got and how i like it..thats for the input

DaveK

Garf Grunge does come with a lot of stuff like shells and broken shells, muck and other stuff. It can cloud up the tank a bit, but I don't mind the stuff on the bottom of my tank at all. Plus it does provide a lot of life.

flyline

hey davek why do you say to add the pods a month or two after the grunge? im assuming that its cuz the grunge will cause a cycle..right now they have a deal buy some grunge and get a free bag of pods thats the olny reason i was goign to add both at the same time..i assume they are going to send them together...thanks

ChrisOaty

I was interested in the same thing. I'm considering getting some grunge for my newish setup. I have absolutely no pods in my tank because I started off with all base rock and the chunk of live I tossed in didn't come with a single viable pod. I may put the grunge in my 10gal fuge/pod farm.

DaveK

hey davek why do you say to add the pods a month or two after the grunge? im assuming that its cuz the grunge will cause a cycle..right now they have a deal buy some grunge and get a free bag of pods thats the olny reason i was goign to add both at the same time..i assume they are going to send them together...thanks

Yes, exactly. Like LR or LS, shipping is going to cause a certain amount of die off so you could get a slight cycle. If you are getting a deal, then go ahead and add them all at once. You don't have much to loose.