Frustrated with the Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit

GregT

i don’t know if it’s just me as I haven’t seen any feedback on this but the Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit I have is impossible to consistently drip 8 drops of the A bottle!
I shake the bottle from side to side for the recommended 30 seconds but time and time again when I’m squeezing I get a stream squirting out stuffing up the drip count. I waste two out of every three tests. Any suggestions please?

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

Get a different brand of test kit. Sailfret and Seachem are usually good. I'm not a fan of API. Hach and LaMotte are good bit tend to be extremely expensive.

GregT

Yep, I’ve been a fan of the Red Sea range so disappointed with this particular product. Will have a look around.

SPR

I’ve used the Red Sea Nitrate Pro for over 2 1/2 years (its 5 drops by the way unless they have changed the instructions! lol) and I got to the point were the colours just didn’t match the colour chart. I was judging by intensity of the colour. I tried Salifert but didn’t like it, pink again.

Maybe pink no longer suits my eyes....

Anyway I have changed to the NYOS nitrate test. It’s very simple (5 mins wait) and the result is yellow which certainly suits my eye and is very easy to compare and estimate in between results.

I’m also going to try the NYOS calcium and magnesium when the Red Sea ones run out as they look very easy.

I think with competitor products out there, although they make excellent tanks etc., they need to up their game on the test kit front. Some like the alkalinity are notoriously difficult to read (i now use Hanna) and there are now much better test kits available to us

GregT

Did you ever find it hard getting the number of drops?
(My instructions say 8 drops on the bottle)

Last edited: