Freshwater test kits

Wayne23uk

Hello has anyone got any advise on which brand of freshwater test kits are best to use please I'm currently using tetra but they can be hard to read

Thanks
Wayne

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I am not a fw guy but I always used the API tests. Not sure if they are the same or not

NanaReefer

I used API FW for 20yrs :) Just know that if you ever dose Plant Food it will totally throw off your Nitrate readings...like off the chart! Lol.

DaveK

I'm not much of a fan of API test kits. I usually use Tetra for FW. So my questions are -
What do you find hard to read about them?
What are you trying to test for?
What are you trying to keep in the tank?

Here is a link to a post on FW test kit calibration. This is usually done for planted tanks where you are adding nitrate and phosphate compounds (offsite) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83545&highlight=calibration+test+kits

Many SW test kits work very well with FW also. So you can often use those with no issues.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Saliferts ammonia test is great and I assume that's a common test in the FW arena

Wayne23uk

I find the low end of the ammonia test kit hard to read the colours which I think I may try a different brand, iv just got a few plants and fish in the tank at the moment looking to up the both soon. When I had my marine setup I always used the red sea test kits which I found really easy to use

DaveK

If Ammonia is the only test kit your having a problem with, then don't worry about it.

You usually only need to test for ammonia during the initial cycle or when you suspect a major problem. Established tanks seldom have an ammonia issue, unless something really big dies and is not removed.

A reading other than 0 after the initial cycle indicates a problem. You don't usually need to worry about the exact reading. Of course if that reading is off the charts, then you have a huge problem.

blazend

I agree with Dave. I only test ammonia after a fish would die or water doesn't look right.

I always used API for freshwater.
Salferit for Saltwater.