Fresh macro algaes vs dry algaes for my fish

Basile

Yesterday i made a new video

Now on the video you dont see it but not far from the fresh macro algaes i had a clip with dry nori and they totally ignored it. And it dawn on me what is, what would be the advantages of fresh vs dry .

Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject; its not a catch, its a discussion. I never thought about it before having the two clips side by side before.

Minion-2014-quote-funny.jpg

Last edited:

DaveK

Nori is something that the fish may need some time getting use to. Keep offering it to them.

Fish are like little kids in that they eat their most favorite food first and work their way down the chain until they get to foods they will not eat at all. Sometimes you got to let the fish get hungry for a few days, so they will try a new food.

If the fish like it, live macro algae is great for them. If the macro algae is being grown in your system, you may be recycling phosphates nutrients right back into the system.

You can actually feed both. I would consider the live to be preferred, but not to the point where I'd omit the nori.

Basile

Nori is something that the fish may need some time getting use to. Keep offering it to them.

Fish are like little kids in that they eat their most favorite food first and work their way down the chain until they get to foods they will not eat at all. Sometimes you got to let the fish get hungry for a few days, so they will try a new food.

If the fish like it, live macro algae is great for them. If the macro algae is being grown in your system, you may be recycling phosphates nutrients right back into the system.

You can actually feed both. I would consider the live to be preferred, but not to the point where I'd omit the nori.

I never though of that. They've had nori before and they know what it is, as for the macro its the one growing already in but , if they eat the nori, don't i add more phosphate ?

So it would be better the fresh since its alread have process the existing phosphates right. Other than that, no other benefit, like better nutrients or minerals or anything like that??

DaveK

Anything you feed that comes from outside the tank system is going to add nutrients, including phosphate.

I don't know for sure if nori has different nutrients or not. However, it's a cold water red algae. The processing turns it green when made in to sheets. So, it may have different stuff in it.