Free Plexiglass, SCORE!!!

mps9506

You can do a lot with that material if you have experience. Shoot, that would be my surge box in a heart beat. top off container, you name it. But when it comes to water you want to know what you are doing. Accidents happen in strange and bad ways, turning a cool hobby into a nightmare. Especially when it comes to a seem bursting and electrical accidents. So please do the research before attempting to building a container to hold water.

Couldn't be more correct.

rebekwl

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got home on Friday and my husband was already out at the store buying Weld On. I'm really nervous about this whole thing, but he's determined. He went by a LFS where the guy builds all of his own tanks and got some advice. He's planning on building a tank with corner braces as well as braces on the top. The guy told him he could make it as high as 18" if it was done right, I suggested he do 14" at the most, but he cut it at 17" anyways. I guess we will see how it goes. He's going to have to fill it outside and let it sit for a long time before I let him put it in the house. I don't think it's a very good idea, but he's determined so we will see. He's very good at DIY stuff, but this one makes me nervous!!

tbittner

17" high, but what is the length/width that he is building?

Letting it sit outside for a while sounds like a great idea too. I know the refugium that I'm building under my stand will be VERY slowly filled and constantly checked for leaks. I'm also adding extra braces and seals around each of the seams.

rebekwl

It's 24" wide and 48" long. From what I've read that is too much water volume for 1/4" plexiglass. I'm so nervous about this, but will deffinitely be leaving it outside for a while. How long do you think it should sit before we consider putting any livestock in it?

Last edited:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
A top down box is a shallow box of acrylic that is used to see clearly through the surface of the water. The top down box is floated on the surface of the water eliminating the distortion from the movement of the top of the water. It's great to see the bottom and is also a cool perspective. It's like putting on a mask when swimming. If you have a glass, flat bottomed bowl, with good clarity, float it on the surface of the water and look down. Try it! This is the concept for the top down box. You can also take good photos through it. This is a great idea for your acrylic!

rebekwl

That is a cool idea! I'm sure we will have pleanty left over to use for that.

I've read alot about covering the tank with acrylic/glass. I know it's not a good idea because you need good gas exchange, etc. What if small holes are drilled all through the glass/acrylic? Is it still not the best of ideas? I ask because the top I have now is metal and seems like it will start to rust here soon. I also made a top from egg crate and gutter guard, but found that it blocked a fair amount of light from entering my tank. The top we have now is a standard top for the tank we have, we just cut around the overflow so it would fit well. Thanks...

kinghokus420

here the one i threw together, it was quick and works great

DSCN1623.jpg

DSCN1624.jpg

lcstorc

You sound so like me. I would be terrified if Frank were to try anything like that. Any chance you can get him to try something smaller first? It is good someone is offering advice but I would like to see a smaller project work successfully first. Maybe a top-off container. At least the rish would be smaller plus they are great to have.
What do you plan to keep in the tank once it is built? Just curious.

rebekwl

I'm pretty sure we will end up transferring everything from the 55 over to the new one (I think it will be like 85-90 gal.) I want to use the other 55 gal to separate our cichlids, that way we don't have the Africans with the South Americans anymore. We luckily have not lost any yet, but that lood Parrot is getting HUGE and I'm scared for the others because he's so dang mean. I've been slowly talking my hubby into getting him out of there all together, we'll see how it workd out.

Anyhoo, I'm sure it will be quite a task to switch everything over. I will be asking alot of questions once the time comes of how to do it, if the tank holds water that is. I totally hear what you're saying about trying something smaller first. He has cut all the pieces for the tank though, and glued it together with some crap he got from Wal Mart. I think it was silicone based, so needless to say we had to take it all apart and he's going to buy some Weld On #4 later today. I spent 1/2 of the day Saturday peeling glue off the edges. Funny because I looked at the tube and told him it was the wrong stuff but he used it anyways. MEN, they never listen!! :lol: (sorry guys)
He's pretty determined and I'd hate to see it all go wrong. I wish he'd build the sump first because we have pleanty left over to use for that. I guess he looks at it as, we don't have the tank built yet, so why build the sump for it? Please keep your fingers crossed that we do not have a major flood in our future!!

We do need a top off container Lynn, maybe I'll mention that to him and see what he says. How exaclty would that work? Do they usually sit outside the stand? He keeps talking about getting a rubbermaid container to use as a top off, I may just be able to talk him into building one!!

Your top down box looks cool kinghokus420. Is your's made of glass? I'll deffinitely have to try that out!!

lcstorc

A top-off container can be any size and located anywhere, The key is to get a double float switch so if one freezes up the other kicks in.

rebekwl

Well, we put it all together and just haven't finished the bracing and all. We were just talking about it tonight, so it's funny that you asked. We just bought a new 90 gal glass tank, and are planning on building a sump for it out of the remaining Acrylic. That way we can make sure that we know we can build a leak proof tank before finishing the big project. Now that we bought our new 90 gal we are considering finishing it, then testing to make sure it holds water, and probably selling it for a pretty cheap price. As long as it holds up ok. We got the materials for free and now we have no where to put it, if and when we do finish it. What a dilema!! :)

rebekwl

Hahaha, I don't think you want it Lynn!! The other day I leaned on it a little bit on accident and the walls came apart, NOT a good sign. I can only imagine what would have happened if it had water in it!! It's not finished though so that's my excuse!!