Frag Tank Setup

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Sorry i've been MIA for a while. New job is very time consuming. I've got a new frag tank project going up. Short story, I had a 90g non drilled tank with multiple clam shells on the front glass. Tried to give it away, nobody wanted it. SO, i chopped it apart, took the back glass and 1 side glass panel and cut them from 22" tall down to 11" tall. I took the other side panel and cut it down to 10" and made a tank divider. After much angst, bad language and silicone, the tank is back together. Each side has its own drilled 1" Overflow(with strainer), and its own 3/4" Lockline return. They share a common sump(55g acrylic). Total height of the 45(formerly 90g) is 12" Deep. One side will have a sand bottom and house Rock Flower Anemones. The other side will have Aragacrete tiles(made and cycled myself). Total system volume is roughly 65g, The tank is setup and running on a custom 1.25" Square tube stand(cut/welded it myself). The system is up and salty. Cycling the Dry rock in the sump in prep for adding anemone's in the spring. Up to this point i was sure of what was doing, but on Lighting, im at a head scratcher moment.

I have a custom light hanging rack attached to the frame of the stand. Can go up to 36" Off the water(rack only, lights cant go much higher than 28ish). I have a 6x54 T5HO With brand new bulbs attached to the light rack. My question is, with a 11-12" Deep tank, knowing that it will house mainly Anemones(rock flower and maxi mini), how high off the water should i be looking at keeping the lights?

I have another tank that will have T5HO Also, but its a 65 Brick tank also chopped in half vertically for the same reasons. Its height is 12" Deep now instead of 24, and it will have a 40g breeder for a sump running at roughly 25g. I plan to use a 6 bulb fixture for that tank as well. That tank will house Bubble tip Anemones. I assume the lights would be similar in height, but if not id appreciate input and more importantly the reasons.

These 2 tanks are intended to be the start of my small Propagation project. Current bulbs for the 48" 45g tank are 2@6700k, 2@10k and 2@ Coral growth boosters(Sort of pink/purple/white combo bulb.)

Any advice on light height, photo period(for max growth), and anything else i can do to get this project off the launch pad would be appreciated

Devin.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Fine, be that way about it! LOL
758caf66560763ec3976be75234a06d5.jpg
d707a7312f2bb9c720fdab4e08e3ace1.jpg

Left pic is salty and running. Right is plumbing and water testing.

Sent from my iPhone using misspelled wrods!

manolo

Great setup! I myself am setting up a multi frag tank system so I'm tagging along for this one.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ive made quite a name for myself locally. I've got people i dont even know calling/texting asking me if i can duplicate the job i did on this and another tank. I'm always on the lookout for leaky/cracked tanks. I've got a pro Glass cutter that works in my office. He does all the cutting i want for little or nothing.