Found my problem

Orlando-Jeff

In an earlier thread, I stated that I had small white particles floating around in my tank. This afternoon I decided to use a turkey baster and blast the rocks to get the junk into the water column so my filter could take care of it...HOLY CRAP....tons of white particles were in the rocks. I used dry rock instead of live which I had no problems in the past on my other tank but this rock seemed to be full of loose particles. I rinsed the rock before placing in the tank and I thought it was clean but it seems that there is still plenty of loose junk caked in the rocks.
I don't think it's detritus but I could be wrong. I'm really considering buying some live rock this weekend and replacing all of the dried rock although that will be an expensive purchase

DaveK

Save your money. Given time the dry rock will work fine. If you want to get 1 or 2 modest size pieces of LR to seed you tank ok, but don't replace everything.

Orlando-Jeff

The problem is, I took this rock from my old tank. It's about 3 years old. My tank crashed and I left this rock out to dry for about 2months. When it was in my other tank, I noticed it was starting to crumble apart in some spots. I'm afraid this is whats happening now in my new tank causing the small pieces to fall off the rock and float around

cracker

Can You use a dip net or such to capture these particles? That way You can see if it's crumbling rock or something different maybe?