Food for Maxima Clam

heels92

Little background here, I have had my saltwater reef/fish tank for over 10 years. About 2 years ago I just decided "turn the tank off to rest"." I decided to continue to do water changesto keep my live rock going, etc. I literally turned the lights off as I had become lax and algae had taken over and fish (because of age) were dieing off.

About 6 months ago I decided to "turn the lights on" as the tank looked clean of algae etc and ready to start back up. I did that and added 2 clown fish and a fairy wrasse. My canaries 9n the coal Mae if you will. They have done well and I also added a couple of inexpensive corals.

I have forgotten a lot of things I used to know, but also the hobby has progressed (new technology, techniques, products, ideas, etc.). Okay that is my brief history.

I just decided to add a http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3355+3395&pcatid=3395 to the tank as I have had experience with clams in the past.

All that said, what say you about the bes food for clams now. I know several foods I have used in the past, but I would like some "modern" input. It may have not changed, but looking for ideas. Also product specifically if possible.

Thanks.

MatroxD

Little background here, I have had my saltwater reef/fish tank for over 10 years. About 2 years ago I just decided "turn the tank off to rest"." I decided to continue to do water changesto keep my live rock going, etc. I literally turned the lights off as I had become lax and algae had taken over and fish (because of age) were dieing off.

About 6 months ago I decided to "turn the lights on" as the tank looked clean of algae etc and ready to start back up. I did that and added 2 clown fish and a fairy wrasse. My canaries 9n the coal Mae if you will. They have done well and I also added a couple of inexpensive corals.

I have forgotten a lot of things I used to know, but also the hobby has progressed (new technology, techniques, products, ideas, etc.). Okay that is my brief history.

I just decided to add a http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3355+3395&pcatid=3395 to the tank as I have had experience with clams in the past.

All that said, what say you about the bes food for clams now. I know several foods I have used in the past, but I would like some "modern" input. It may have not changed, but looking for ideas. Also product specifically if possible.

Thanks.
I don't feed mine anything.. I never have.. Even past clams I have owned.. I'm sure as they are filter feeders, they take in some form of microscopic animals. But clams are(seem in my experience) pretty easy. As long as you get them in a spot, they are able to anchor, and get plenty of light.. Light was a huge favor for me with my success with them.. For me, they have been the most set it and forget it, while being beautiful invert in my systems..

Lol, they suck up a lot of calcium and alkalinity when actively growing for me, but pretty easily manageable..

But I don't feed coral much of anything besides fish food that may be floating in the water..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Clams need no food at all :) they produce well in excess of the energy they need through photosynthesis! All you need are stable parameters, the ability to dose alk, Ca and mg and a decent light source for them to take advantage of :) I've got through clams in my tank, one I've had for over 3 years and I've never added any food or anything for them :)
Please also never target feed a clam though! It's a great way to kill them

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yep some species of angelfish and butterflyfish are prone to nipping clam mantles, you have to be careful with what you pick

Frankie

RS STAFF
Light and stable water parameters are all that is needed.
When mention of stable water parameters, age of the system matters a lot also.
Most clams don't thrive unless a system has been running 6+ months with consistent water parameters.
You will want to test and see stability in your:
ca++ 420ppm
MG+ 1350
Alkalinity 9ish
Phos 0
PH 8.4
Salinity 35ppm
Temp 78°f - 80°F
NITRATE 0

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

heels92

Hey Frankie, don't know if you remember me or not, but we met several years ago here in Charleston. I think I got a couple of frags from you. I met you at your house and saw your amazing tank. If this is the same person, how are you and are you still in the area?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey Heels, yeah, I remember you :) still have those corals?
I am on James island now. Not in the hobby currently, I had to bail on aquariums for a while so I can focus on building a house. I'm about 2 years away from having a reef again.
Glad to see your still at it!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

heels92

Yes Frankie. I remembered you saying you were building a house last time we spoke. Yes I still have my tank as you can see from my original post, about a year ago my last fish died (most lasted about 10 years and my corals were dying so I felt I was getting what I call "old tank syndrome". It seemed that once I would get one thing corrected another problem popped up. I literally turned out the lights for about a year, I just did occasional water changes. I have gotten it back up and running...water is great and "recycled." Slowly adding livestock. Email me at heels92@mac.com if you want to catch up and I'll give you my number.