Flame Hawk Attack

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Has anyone ever had a Flame Hawk that attached other fish. I purchased one about two weeks ago. He has not messed with my shrimp. Got up this morning and something had attached my Chromis and he was missing an eye. Surprisingly enough the Chromis was still alive. Got home tonight and notice my blue spotted Jawfish was all beat up. When I fed I saw my hawk fish attacking him. I have caught the jaw fish and he is a small in tank refugium that I have. I have a fish trap trying to catch the hawk fish. I have had hawk before and I have never had one do this.

Steve L

Yep, I've seen them completely clear out a tank of other fish, usually nano tanks with small inhabitants. That's a little tidbit that the LFS should probably share with somebody buying one. Not all are bad. I seem to recall the flaco variety was more aggressive but I may be wrong.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have had about three before this one. One was in my RSM130 and it bothered no one. This was a total surprise. I did read that sometimes they will bother small gobies and blennies that sit on the bottom. Another difference, this one is very active, the others that I had used to perch.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
When I bought my Dwarf Cherub Angel at the LFS he was a tiny little thing & he was missing a bite out of his tail fin.
I had seen him the day before I bought him & it wasn't like that. I ask the LFS owner "what happened?" and he said, "That Red Hawk Fish right there is what happened" .....made note to self: Never buy a Red Hawk Fish.
Sorry you're having such a bad time from your Red Hawk Fish. :( I'm glad you got him outta there!!
I hope your attacked fish recover.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
When I bought my Dwarf Cherub Angel at the LFS he was a tiny little thing & he was missing a bite out of his tail fin.
I had seen him the day before I bought him & it wasn't like that. I ask the LFS owner "what happened?" and he said, "That Red Hawk Fish right there is what happened" .....made note to self: Never buy a Red Hawk Fish.
Sorry you're having such a bad time from your Red Hawk Fish. :( I'm glad you got him outta there!!
I hope your attacked fish recover.

Blue Spot died last night. I have had Flame Hawks before and never have had a problem with one before. The previous ones never bothered anything, they just perched. This one is very active.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:cry1: Sorry for the loss of your Blue Spot :(
Not sure what you should do with this Flame Hawk :dunno:

AngieRN

I had a flame hawk for about 7 years and he never bothered anything in my tank. He had the biggest personality; I loved that fish! Sorry to hear you're having problems with this one :( Surely the LFS will take him back...