Fish compatibility ?

tank stalker

I was thinking on stocking my 65 gal tank around a dwarf fuzzy lionfish,I also want a spiny blue lobster will the lion fish mess with it? Since it has a natural taste for crustaceans

Stalking a tank near you

DaveK

I've never tried those together, but consider that the spiny blue lobster is going to need to molt to grow and at that time is vulnerable and that lionfish can swallow something as large as they are and that they grow fast.

I wouldn't attempt it.

puffermike

Yep...

IMG_0912.jpg

reefer gladness

Not sure if this is the original source but they linked the same pic in this article: https://student.societyforscience.org/article/gorgeous-eco-bullies

I'm a little skeptical myself. The size of the lionfish mouth is irrelevant, what is dubious is whether 65 feeder fish and a shrimp would fit inside the gut of one 12 inch lionfish. Anyway, the pic does a fair job at portraying the lionfish as an absolute hog that eats everything in it's path and that much is accurate.

Tokalosh

I was thinking on stocking my 65 gal tank around a dwarf fuzzy lionfish,I also want a spiny blue lobster will the lion fish mess with it? Since it has a natural taste for crustaceans

Stalking a tank near you

Hi Tank Stalker

Just to let you know that you can keep a “FUZZY DWARF" lion fish. With the following recommendations

1: He will eat whatever fits in his mouth, but as they are the dwarf species most fish are safe.
2: Live food is a must for a dwarf lion fish as most will not take to frozen.
2: Making sure it is well fed without overfeeding is key.
4: They do like shrimp, no matter what size the dwarf lion is or the shrimp, by this I mean all shrimp.
5: Good tank husbandry is a must as leftover food must be removed from the tank.

I have been keeping a fuzzy dwarf for 3 years in my mixed reef tank with no casualty’s to any of my fish.
I feed the dwarf every 3rd day on live shrimp that I fatten up with food and nutrients.

As for the lobster please stay well away as they do get BIG and are VERY destructive..

Hope this helps

PS: a site with more information than you can poke a stick at: http://www.lionfishlair.com/

Tok

tank stalker

Thank you for the input and the link tokalosh. After all the research I've done so far I'm pretty set that , that is the fish I'm building my stock list around for my 65

Stalking a tank near you

tank stalker

Hi Tank Stalker

Just to let you know that you can keep a “FUZZY DWARF" lion fish. With the following recommendations

1: He will eat whatever fits in his mouth, but as they are the dwarf species most fish are safe.
2: Live food is a must for a dwarf lion fish as most will not take to frozen.
2: Making sure it is well fed without overfeeding is key.
4: They do like shrimp, no matter what size the dwarf lion is or the shrimp, by this I mean all shrimp.
5: Good tank husbandry is a must as leftover food must be removed from the tank.

I have been keeping a fuzzy dwarf for 3 years in my mixed reef tank with no casualty’s to any of my fish.
I feed the dwarf every 3rd day on live shrimp that I fatten up with food and nutrients.

As for the lobster please stay well away as they do get BIG and are VERY destructive..

Hope this helps

PS: a site with more information than you can poke a stick at: http://www.lionfishlair.com/

Tok
Also wanted to ask you tok have you had any luck with converting your lions over to frozen and if so any tricks you would want to share would be much appreciated [emoji4]

Stalking a tank near you

Tokalosh

Also wanted to ask you tok have you had any luck with converting your lions over to frozen and if so any tricks you would want to share would be much appreciated [emoji4]

Stalking a tank near you

This can be a little tricky to say the least.

I’ve only had success in converting one fuzzy to eat frozen food and this was done with a lot of patients. The fuzzy at the time was very small and still learning how to fend for itself so this made things a lot easier. However my current fuzzy was not as small when I got him and no matter what method I tried he won’t eat any frozen food.

So now I’m forced to keep a live food tank just for him. Mind you I do think it is better this way as there is no chance of over feeding your fuzzy and ultimately killing it. I feed mine about 7 or 8 live shrimp every 3 days and this seems to keep it's appetite in check.

A happy fed fuzzy dwarf lion fish will not bother any of your other fish.

Cheers

Tok

tank stalker

This can be a little tricky to say the least.

I’ve only had success in converting one fuzzy to eat frozen food and this was done with a lot of patients. The fuzzy at the time was very small and still learning how to fend for itself so this made things a lot easier. However my current fuzzy was not as small when I got him and no matter what method I tried he won’t eat any frozen food.

So now I’m forced to keep a live food tank just for him. Mind you I do think it is better this way as there is no chance of over feeding your fuzzy and ultimately killing it. I feed mine about 7 or 8 live shrimp every 3 days and this seems to keep it's appetite in check.

A happy fed fuzzy dwarf lion fish will not bother any of your other fish.

Cheers

Tok
Thank you

Stalking a tank near you