Fish Civil Rights

Paul B

As I was sitting here enjoying a tuna fish sandwich with a side of shrimp cocktail I was thinking about a thread I saw yesterday about how to euthanize a fish. Now I have been keeping fish since trillobites were the best clean up crew so I certainly don't want to see fish suffer, but I wonder how this tuna was euthanized or these shrimp.

Did they carefully put it in a small container, play soft music and dose it with clove oil? I really don't know. Those shrimp too. How did they meet their end?

Being of Italian decent, on Christmas it is our custom to have at least 7 different kinds of sea food for dinner. Last Christmas we had over twenty. Does that make us bad? Of course we never eat fish in view of my tank as that would be like canibalism and my fish may get the horrors.

My family owned a seafood market and on Fridays my Dad would bring me down to the Fulton Fish Market in lower Manhattan to buy the seafood for his store. It is amazing that those tons of fish that were uncerimonesly dumped on the sidewalk, then moved around with snow shovels. Were they all euthanized. I wonder where they got the time.

And how much clove oil were they using?

In those days there were also huge sea turtles still alive on their backs. Now I know they were just pets as no one I know would hurt a beautiful sea turtle.

Every day I feed my fish live blackworms, clams and mysis. I am not sure if each one of those worms has feelings or thinks about it's family just before it gets eaten.

The millions of mysis also. Do they have more civil rights than the new born brine shrimp I feed my mandarins. Is there a brine shrimp rights group? How about the goldfish we sometimes feed to our moray eels. Do they have less rights than say a lionfish or tang? What if we fed tiny tangs to large goldfish, would that be OK?

If we were to cycle a tank with a live fish or shrimp we would get yelled at from everyone, but it seems to be perfectly fine to cycle a tank with a fish or shrimp that suffocated on the deck of a ship. I wonder about that. I also wonder about the leather belt I am wearing. How did they remove that strip of skin from that cow without him noticing.

Many people dip corals in insecticide before they put them in their tanks to kill "pests". I am sure those "pests" think of us as pests and worse, murderers. If those "pests" were larger and cuter we would keep them as pets and try to kill the corals they were living on.

Just one of the things I think about. :dunno:

cracker

I figure, in nature the big ones eat the little ones. Always been that way. However us humans change a lot things to some degree.

qwaz0101

Very interesting and something I have thought about before. Until recently I had a pet chameleon that I fed locusts every day, they lived in a plastic tub for days and finally when released they are eaten within minutes and that's seen as normal. Now if I had taken my chameleon out and fed it to a dog/cat/bigger animal then I could be done for animal cruelty. So what makes killing one animal cruel and another ok? What makes killing a pet fish bad but killing millions of fish every day ok?

cracker

I'm just very happy that these crickets ,lizards, fishes and even the pods. You see the flesh ripping mouth parts they have ? aren't bigger than We are. Otherwise they would be eating us !

Squatch XXL

I don't mind the insecticide. I keep my tank as a science experiment. I am creating "conditions" that defy mother nature by lacking in pests. However, I also am testing my ability to make good choices on the variables. I am watching cyphestra starting to choke out a poccilapora.

I try to limit my experiment to certain variables, and at times don't mind a few casualties.

I cannot keep the diversity required to keep populations of unruly inverts in check.

I always felt that keeping fish is borderline inhumane, as it is a display and not really a diverse tank. My wrasse may never meet her mate. She does not have much swimming room, though I have a population of stomatella snails she snacks on all day every day.

I want to keep the ocean in a box, but Ill settle for a small cube.

subsea

As I was sitting here enjoying a tuna fish sandwich with a side of shrimp cocktail I was thinking about a thread I saw yesterday about how to euthanize a fish. Now I have been keeping fish since trillobites were the best clean up crew so I certainly don't want to see fish suffer, but I wonder how this tuna was euthanized or these shrimp.

Did they carefully put it in a small container, play soft music and dose it with clove oil? I really don't know. Those shrimp too. How did they meet their end?

Being of Italian decent, on Christmas it is our custom to have at least 7 different kinds of sea food for dinner. Last Christmas we had over twenty. Does that make us bad? Of course we never eat fish in view of my tank as that would be like canibalism and my fish may get the horrors.

My family owned a seafood market and on Fridays my Dad would bring me down to the Fulton Fish Market in lower Manhattan to buy the seafood for his store. It is amazing that those tons of fish that were uncerimonesly dumped on the sidewalk, then moved around with snow shovels. Were they all euthanized. I wonder where they got the time.

And how much clove oil were they using?

In those days there were also huge sea turtles still alive on their backs. Now I know they were just pets as no one I know would hurt a beautiful sea turtle.

Every day I feed my fish live blackworms, clams and mysis. I am not sure if each one of those worms has feelings or thinks about it's family just before it gets eaten.

The millions of mysis also. Do they have more civil rights than the new born brine shrimp I feed my mandarins. Is there a brine shrimp rights group? How about the goldfish we sometimes feed to our moray eels. Do they have less rights than say a lionfish or tang? What if we fed tiny tangs to large goldfish, would that be OK?

If we were to cycle a tank with a live fish or shrimp we would get yelled at from everyone, but it seems to be perfectly fine to cycle a tank with a fish or shrimp that suffocated on the deck of a ship. I wonder about that. I also wonder about the leather belt I am wearing. How did they remove that strip of skin from that cow without him noticing.

Many people dip corals in insecticide before they put them in their tanks to kill "pests". I am sure those "pests" think of us as pests and worse, murderers. If those "pests" were larger and cuter we would keep them as pets and try to kill the corals they were living on.

Just one of the things I think about. :dunno:

Paul,

You are always stirring the pot. From the fishes point of view, we are God. Each of us have an ethical responsibility to provide for the welfare for tank inhabitants, just as we would provide for our cats and dogs. I shudder to think that certain lobiest see it as inhumane to keep fish in a glass tank. Does the fish have feelings?

subsea

A few years back, a citizen of Italy was convicted of inhumane treatment of a gold fish. Really!!!

Aren’t there more important things going on?

More importantly, when did goldfish get rights? Do they pay taxes?