First Post - Chiller Pump Questions

fragtrader

Hey guys, been a lurker for quite some time, and actually wanted my first post to be the out of the box of my rsm 250 (im convinced on getting one)...

I used to be an avid nano reef keeper about 10 years ago, went on sebbatical, had 3 kids, created 3 companies, and now am getting back into it...

my question is pretty simple...i am planning my rsm 250 setup.

i have planned the following:

rsm 250 setup
- deltec mc500 skimmer
- jbj 1/10 hp skimmer
- brs gfo & carbon reactor
- 3 pump doser for calc, alk, and mag (brs brand)
- ato will be me for now
- lighting t5 colors will most likely be a different variety. i will poll you for bulb options later
- planning on making the following food for my future animals derived from this youtube video: YouTube - DIY Reef Food
- brs dry rock and some florida live sand

planning on mostly lps, softies, and a few sps.

now, for my question, (assuming there is nothing rogue with the ingredients above). what size external pump should i pickup for the chiller? I was thinking a Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One 3000. Too small?

Anyways, thanks for providing such a friendly and open forum environment.

John

:hug1:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
:welcomera to Reef Sanctuary!

I'm not a RSM 250 owner (130 here), but I found your post 3 pages back so I'll give your post a bump up to page one for help from other 250 owners. I'm not even sure you'll see this, as it strangely indicates that you have 0 posts, yet you obviously have 1. :)

fragtrader

Terry, thank you! Yeah, Im not sure what happened...to be honest, I found it rather strange that I posted my first question here asking for help 4 days ago and no one responded! I would only expect that at 1 "other" reef forum. ;-)

I appreciate any help you can lend to the question. Thanks for looking guys.

tnwillia

Welcome to RS John!

Here is a link to a head calculator. http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

I ran a simple 5 foot path using your OuietOne 3000 pump rated at 780GPH max at 10ft head. Your JBJ 1/10th chiller has an flow requirement of 240 to 960 GPH. By the time the water hits your tank it will be about 463 GPH. It just depends on what you want. Yes it fits the Chiller flow specs. Good luck & Have fun with your tank!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
fragtrader - glad I was able to help get you "seen" :) At least after 2 posts you're now showing 1 LOL! Very strange indeed, and it's very seldom posts in here don't get some kind of reply.

Thanks Tom for jumping in to help!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just found another new poster - jonoz - 4 pages back and first post indicated they also had 0 posts. I just bumped his 250 question up. I looked at the last 12 pages and hopefully that's the only 2 "forgotten souls" who's posts never got seen.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

fragtrader

hey guys, sorry to bump this one up, just wanted to know if anyone had any other comments about the ingredients before i pull the trigger.

thanks in advance.

imaccat

Fragtrader,

Hi and welcome

I have a 2300 lph pump on my D-D DC300 chiller. I must admit I didn't work out what I needed, I just took advice from the store I bought the chiller from. I've not measured the output flow from it back into the tank, but it isnt very strong, which is ok for me as I have a vortech to mix things up a bit.

Good luck with your tank.

tnwillia

Hey John, your list looks good. You really don't need to start dosing right off the bat, wait untill you know you need to. That saves you more than enough to get your ATO which will make your life easier to start. If you want a super skimmer at half the price of the Deltec look at the ER Nano Skimmer. I think I read last week Robbert has now built this to set in the back chamber with the top closed so no modifications and you keep the 250 sleek look. But, I'm heard nothing but good on the Deltec if you go that way. Have fun with your new tank and good luck!

fragtrader

That saves you more than enough to get your ATO which will make your life easier to start.

What do you recommend for ATO? Is it feasible with the cabinet? What have others used for hardware?

If you want a super skimmer at half the price of the Deltec look at the ER Nano Skimmer. I think I read last week Robbert has now built this to set in the back chamber with the top closed so no modifications and you keep the 250 sleek look.

Awesome, as I am coming back into the scene, I do not know all the websites just yet...do you have a link to the ER nano?

Thank you so much for the feedback!

John

tnwillia

brookejk

Hi John

I use the standard MAx 250 1500 pump in the tank to run my DD750 and i dont think ive lost any flow but i do also have a vortech on.