First nano tank

Free2talk429

just orderd the fluval sea evo 13.5 gallon. I went ahead and orderd the ps2 mini protein skimmer along with a 50watt submersible heater. I haven't quite decided on what type of rockscape I wanna do or what fish I want to put in it. I do know I want to make it a reef tank with a variety of corals as it's primary purpose. I am open to suggestions. I have 20 pounds of live rock coming I'm not sure if it will be enough tho

DaveK

This is a small tank, so your limited to about 1 fish or maybe 2 very small fish, like neon gobies. The other alternative is in place of the fish, keep some shrimp. A mated pair of banded coral shrimp would work well.

I would suggest also keeping a selection of zoas and mushrooms. With all the colors they come in, your tank can become a real gem.

You have more than enough rock.

The key to setting up a nano is to be very selective about what you add to the tank. You want each item to be something out of the ordinary. Done properly small nano tanks can be a real gem.

DaveK

I recommend treating it just like any other tank, but taking into account the limitations of size.

I do not recommend any additives or other products for cycling a tank. A small piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store will cycle a tank just fine.

As for coral growth, water changes should be able to keep up with everything. Keep in mind that a 5 gal water change in a 13.5 gal tank is almost a 50% water change. You really shouldn't need any additional additives.

You will need to watch evaporation rates since you don't want the tank getting out of range in salinity.

Since this is an all in one system, you shouldn't need much else in the way of equipment. You will fine you will need things like test kits and cleaning items. Get those as you need them.

DaveK

Maybe. Set up the tank and see how it does. If you need more circulation you can add a small powerhead. This is something you can easily add at a later date, so it's not a problme if you put this purchase off for awhile.