First Marine tank

adams901

Hi all,

New here :)

After many years keeping goldfish (they lived to 17 years) I moved onto tropical, and am now jumping into marine.

I recently setup the Red Sea Max e-260 and added 23kg of live and real reef live rock and 2 bags of red sea live sand.

The live rock was apparently from a tank that had recently been broken down and still had a couple of bits of coral attached, and the real reef rock was made live by the LFS.

After 2 days of arranging rocks I finally settled on something I'm semi happy with, but am sure will look better once corals start being added.

I have added 2 rw-8 wave makers which work well creating additional flow with the 2 stock pumps (quite a bit of wave movement as well), although I haven't worked out what direction to aim the stock pumps yet, at present they are aimed down and towards the opposite corners.

Also added a TMC ATO which does it's job.

I have a few bristle worms of which a couple seem to be about 5" in size which I will probably try and move (the small ones can stay).

There's a couple of coral growths which I can't identify, so am not sure if they will cause problems.

This bottom seems to be multiplying and spreading quite fast... Almost overnight

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members :nessie:

Great start !

Oxylebius

I have a few bristle worms of which a couple seem to be about 5" in size which I will probably try and move (the small ones can stay).

I'd also try to take the large ones out. With old live rock it is fairly common to see large bristle worms.

There's a couple of coral growths which I can't identify, so am not sure if they will cause problems.

I see yellow sponges, clove polyps (Clavularia sp.), Xenia, maybe a type of Sympodium sp., and hair algae.

The hair algae in your last pic -- get that out and pick up a clean up crew to help to manage its growth.

The clove polyps, Xenia and Sympodium all tend to be fast growers. The xenia in particular can grow and spread quite fast.

The yellow sponge is a good filter feeder.