Finally setting up a tank again!

Wilson Nacario

Hello Fellow Reefers!
I have been in the Reef hobby since 1986. Back then wet dry filters with sand trays, caulerpa harvesting and fluorescent lighting were the rage. I think I've tried every fad that has come along in this hobby since that time. I retired from educational administration in June of 2014 and along with my wife we care take for her parents and help out with my 96 year old mom. I was in San Diego for a number of years and had to sell my 300 gallon SPS tank. Things have calmed down with everyone and I feel comfortable setting up another reef. I lucked out and purchased a used Red Sea Max 130D for a hundred bucks with stand. After researching the past month I am making the following modifications after discussion with In Tank LLC:
  1. Replaced the light hood with a Trinity T5, 4 bulb fixture as the main lighting source and a 20 watt Wave Point LED fixture as supplemental lighting. I tried AI Sols in addition to other LED light sources on my 300 gallon tank and lost a majority of my milleporas. My other sps corals did not color up very well and the growth was much slower. I switched back to metal halide and the corals came back. MH is not feasible with a tank this size so I am going with T5's.
  2. Added a filtration cover
  3. Replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze 9001. I am a bit skeptical whether this will be large enough for a SPS only tank. I do have a Eshopps HOB skimmer rated for 100 gallons if the Tunze is too small.
  4. Purchased the media rack from In Tank
  5. Upgrade the return pumps and return kit with Eheim pumps
  6. Adding two Jebao wave maker power heads
  7. 35 pounds of Reef Saver rock from BRS
Since this will be a SPS tank only, I am going bare bottom for the first time. There are differing opinions on this option. If you research SPS corals they grow away from the sand and nutrients will be kept to a minimum. I can always add sand later if I am unhappy with the aesthetics. This will be a slow process with this tank. I have made every mistake in the book and have learned slow and patience are the best tools for a SPS only tank. I plan on having 5 fish which will include the following:
  • 2 designer clown fish
  • 1 Hawaiian chevron tang
  • 1 algae blenny
  • Undecided on the 5th
I am used to having lot's of fish but the tank size is limiting my choices. Since the small number of fish I want them to pop out and be noticed. I am waiting for new carpets to be installed (within two weeks) and I'll begin my journey. I will post pictures at that time.

DaveK

What your planning sound good overall, but I highly recommend that you leave out all species of tangs in a Red Sea Max 130D. The system is just way too small. Specifically a chevron tang has a minimum tank size requirement of about 150 gal. Some tangs can do well in smaller tanks, but you still need something in the 90 gal or so range.

In place of the tang, I would go for one of the dwarf angles. Yes, you do take a chance with them eation corals, but some species are better than others. Other possible fish are the smaller hawk fish species, gobies, or the smaler wrasses.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Wilson Nacario

What your planning sound good overall, but I highly recommend that you leave out all species of tangs in a Red Sea Max 130D. The system is just way too small. Specifically a chevron tang has a minimum tank size requirement of about 150 gal. Some tangs can do well in smaller tanks, but you still need something in the 90 gal or so range.

In place of the tang, I would go for one of the dwarf angles. Yes, you do take a chance with them eation corals, but some species are better than others. Other possible fish are the smaller hawk fish species, gobies, or the smaler wrasses.

Actually any fish in tank confines are too small when you compare to the room they have in nature. As hobbyists we place things in our tanks that are pleasing to us. I have kept as many as 6 tangs in a forty gallon breeder tank. Centropyge species angels will nip at polyp extensions on millepora and they no longer extend. Every animal I keep will have a specific purpose hence the tang to graze algae. I could use CUC (and I will) but they are not as pleasing to the eye.