Administrator
RS STAFF
I have:
Neon Goby
False Perc

Neon Goby
Tomato Clown

(two different tanks)

each tank gets fed every other day or so just one time.

michael_cb_125

Also how much "food" do you feed at each feeding.
While Scott was at my house we discussed how and when I feed my fish.
I have a Lyre Tail Anthia. he is a fat little fish. I only feed once a day. I feed One cube of mysis everly evening. Then every other evening I feed one of cyclops along with the one cube of mysis. This is all I feed. Even with the anthia I have grea success. He has alot since I first got him. And now he is my oldest fish in the tank. I think that this is the reason why I have such low Nitrate readings. Just wondering what everyone else does.~Michael

mps9506

It really depends on your livestock how much people will feed. Obviously with anthias and other fish that need to eat often you should be feeding a small amount once, twice or even three times a day. Other tanks maybe fine getting fed every couple days :)
I only try to feed as much as food as the fish will eat before the food starts hitting the overflow :)

michael_cb_125

In my tank I think that I have live plankton. At night if I turn a flashlight on the tank, my anthia is wimming around eating something. He looks like a little whale shark just skimming around gulping up stuff from around the bottom.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's exactly right Mike. I feed per my fish. I tend to under-feed (obviously) but the water is near perfect and everyone appears very healthy. If I had something like an Anthias or something I would be feeding lots more.

I feed a "mush" I make up every Sunday night. It's usually Frozen Mysis with Cyclopeeze mixed in and frozen in "Sauce Cups". At feeding time I simply drop a frozen "puck" into the tank and watch it go WILD! It melts slowly over about 3 minutes and I find this is a very well controlled feeding method for me. I've had to "Tweak" the amount and admit in the beginning I had to NET out some food before it settled onto the floor and over whelmed the clean up crew.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I feed three times a day.
Nori and homemade mush with an occassional spirulina flake food.
The tang gets nori strip twice a day.
I have an achilles tang, copperband butterfly, pair of clownfish, 1 alleni damsel, pair of neon gobies, and one citron goby.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
My stocking list consists of:

2 True percs
Longnose Hawk
Hippo tang
Sailfin tang
Foxface
Blue Spot jawfish
Cherub angel
Mandarin
Mystery Wrasse

I feed 2 cubes of mysis/plankton, twice a day. Nori strip, once a day. I'd prefer to feed 1 frozen cube of mysis 4 times a day, or 1/2 cube 8 times a day, but that is not practical. Although, would more closely simulate how they eat in the wild.

tbittner

Everyone gets flakes and pellets once a day in the evening but I also feed the big guys (two tangs, foxface) a strip of seaweed soaked in selcon, zoe, and garlic in the mornings.

I also feed phytoplankton once every other day for the corals.

Jason25

That's exactly right Mike. I feed per my fish. I tend to under-feed (obviously) but the water is near perfect and everyone appears very healthy. If I had something like an Anthias or something I would be feeding lots more.

I feed a "mush" I make up every Sunday night. It's usually Frozen Mysis with Cyclopeeze mixed in and frozen in "Sauce Cups". At feeding time I simply drop a frozen "puck" into the tank and watch it go WILD! It melts slowly over about 3 minutes and I find this is a very well controlled feeding method for me. I've had to "Tweak" the amount and admit in the beginning I had to NET out some food before it settled onto the floor and over whelmed the clean up crew.

AL, could you tell me how much food is in your puck? I use formula1 and cyclops for my 2 damsels and 1 clown fish, but a whole cube of either of these would be way to much.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
This is what I have learned IME:

Smaller carnivores need small frequent feedings.
Herbivores in mature well established tanks can get by eating once every day or two.
Large aggressive carnivores should be fed well maybe every couple of days or longer.

InLimbo87

I have a 12 gallon with:

1 True Perc
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Neon Goby

I feed usually every other day. They're all very healthy and have been doing well on this feeding regimine for several months. I usually feed about 1/4 to 1/2 of a cube of mysis or spirulina formula one (or a combination).

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello AL. Please read above for my question.

Sorry I totally missed the question buddy. My PM's are always open :)

How much is in a puck? That's tough because the Mysis is in one large sheet. I'll try and describe the best I can...

If I am "lazy" and haven't pre-made the puck I break off a portion of the sheet slightly smaller than a dime. This I soak in RO/DI water to thaw and then strain it through a Tea Strainer. Then I add more RO/DI and dump in just a pea size spot of Cyclopeeze. All of this is then fed to the tank. So when I make my "Pucks" I thaw what "looks & feels" like a weeks worth of these. I'm trying to keep everything as consistent as possible. I have experimented and this seems to be about right for my current 12g and 10g tank (each). This is about the right amount of food to keep everyone eating aggressively for approximately 5-7 minutes with a minimal amount getting to the tank floor. I do allow some to get there for the crabs to much on but I try to limit that for obvious reasons.

I hope this helps at least some. I guess it's like a chef... a pinch here and a dash there.. the only difference is it's not sugar and spice but shrimp and critters.

:)

kathywithbirds

I feed twice, generally. little flake, little mysis, little cyclopeeze, daphnia, tang gets a half sheet of nori daily of which 85% gets into the bellies of the HONKIN' snails, he seems OK with the situation though...

Now I thought putting frozen anything in tehre was a no no? Frozen crystals are bad for the fish??

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Frozen is bad? I thought the ONLY reason for the worry was that packing liquids contain so many preservatives it's adding Algae Rocket Fuel to your system (Read PHOSPHATES). Maybe I've just missed that...

vdituri

I haven't heard that frozen is bad, just rinse it in freshwater to rinse any preservatives.

My fish love frozen. Sinze I don't believe they know what fresh is. lol