Feeding Mandarin

Uncle99

i have added a mandarin flush to my 2 year old 70g reef with deep sand bed and 50# LR.
I use no sump.
He is the only exclusive POD eater in the tank.
The LR is quite porous so lots of places for PODS to multiply.

My question....Should my current setup provide enough food for this one specialized eater?

Can you supplement PODS and if so where could I find this?

Any help would be appreciated

DaveK

You should be OK. Usually you figure about 50 gal for a mandarin. However, you may want to try to get the fish to eat other foods. Sometimes you can get them to take adult frozen or live brine shrimp. Sometimes they will eat live black worms, live white worms, or frozen blood worms.

Do not over feed any of these foods since they will decay quickly in SW.

Uncle99

Thanks DaveK, going to try your live brine shrimp nauplii idea as these are easy to make.

subsea

Uncle,
If your pod populations are mature you may already have the food webs necessary to sustain adequate populations.. As a rule, amphipods are herbivores and copepods are detrivores. Your porous rock may well provide enough food for your mandarin. They live in substrate as well.

Uncle99

Subsea, I would agree with you, I think the population should suffice. That being said, it would be interesting to see if he will take a BS napaulii.....I am curious because I have never actually witnessed them taking anything but PODS......always value your input.