Feeding a Copperband Butterfly

Pat24601

I have no first hand advice. I love the CBB and the feeding difficulties are the only thing keeping me from owning one. That article looked like it's worth a shot. If it works, let me know.

Squatch XXL

Good read, and some great tricks. I especially like one of the final quotes in the article:

"I believe it is the responsibility of all pet owners to provide their pets with opportunity for naturalistic behavioral stimulation."

This alone is one of the best quotes about keeping any pet.....except cats. They just do whatever they want anyway.

Pat24601

Good read, and some great tricks. I especially like one of the final quotes in the article:

"I believe it is the responsibility of all pet owners to provide their pets with opportunity for naturalistic behavioral stimulation."

This alone is one of the best quotes about keeping any pet.....except cats. They just do whatever they want anyway.

Very true!

cracker

I feed my Copper band, mysis, clam, oyster(her favorite),squid,shrimp and whole finely chopped glass minnow. She also is constantly sticking her long nose in all the H/A spots I have. I think she is picking out pods and such. My last Copper lasted about 6/7 years, never touched a coral then suddenly stopped eating. I think it was a poor variety of foods offered over the long run.. They are not the most expensive fish at the LFS but in my op one of the most beautiful.

newo11

Larry's reef frenzy. Guaranteed to work!

All the rest of my fish eat Larry's so I'm trying that with him as well. He's nibbled on a couple of pieces but prefers the mysis! I talked with Larry and he suggested using the nano blend as the pieces are smaller for him (which I also have) so will see. I think I am going to put some in the feeder with the mysis to see if he takes to it.

I picked up 1/2 inch PVC and several end caps last night on my way home from work. Going to try to make the feeder today!

Big Pete

I bought a Copperband to eliminate my Aptasia issues, within a week the Aptasia was gone, it now eats frozen PE Mysis and loves it, I have to say it is one of the best fish I have owned.

Pat24601

There are at least 3 levels of awesomeness to this.

Love the DIY feeder. Looks sweet.

Love the helper. Hope my boys are there one day. That's what it's all about.

Love the cleaner shrimp. That's what mine do too.

Talon33

Cleaner shrimp can be a real PITA. I remember when I would feed my corals my two shrimp would constantly be doing everything in their power to get what they could from the corals. They seem to have an endless appetite! With that being said my shrimp were also one of my favorite inhabitants in my reef.

I really want a copperband in my 125 gallon reef. How is yours doing? I am kinda nervous that I won't be able to keep this fish successfully.

BTW I am pretty sure I have that exact same table and chair set on my deck :whistle:

newo11

Cleaner shrimp can be a real PITA. I remember when I would feed my corals my two shrimp would constantly be doing everything in their power to get what they could from the corals. They seem to have an endless appetite! With that being said my shrimp were also one of my favorite inhabitants in my reef.

I really want a copperband in my 125 gallon reef. How is yours doing? I am kinda nervous that I won't be able to keep this fish successfully.

BTW I am pretty sure I have that exact same table and chair set on my deck :whistle:

He's doing okay. He's nowhere near as fat as all of my other fish so it just makes me nervous. He's eating, just slowly so I'm hoping the feeder helps. He was curious about it last night

48c8282a12916e8c2c2efce420ef5fc1.jpg

Pat24601

I used to have to keep my hand in my tank to shoo my cleaner shrimp away from my corals as I fed them. So, yeah, me too. :)

newo11

Thanks Pat. Yes it is hard to know. I suspect it was due to the stress of the transition to a new tank as he did eat some but nowhere near enough for my liking, which was why I was working so hard to find a good way to keep him fed.