Feather Duster moving?

RoyB

Have had a feather duster in my tank for over 2 years. The crown did not come out of its tube for a couple of days. this morning the tube was laying on top of the sand. A couple of hours later it was a foot away and the crown was out. it has moved twice since then and the crown has not come out again.
Not sure if it is moving itself or a fish is moving it. Haven't added any new fish in 6 months. The fish are percula clown, bicolor doty, lawnmover blenny and a mandarin.
Tested and the water chemistry is good.
Are they known to move around after being established for a couple of years?

frisbee

Moving that far and retaining the crown definitely sounds a little odd to me. It's got to be one of the fish IMO.

Oxylebius

After being established, they don't usually move. But, they would if their environment has changed in some way that they don't like. Have you made any changes to the tank, any at all (e.g. moving pumps where the current changed on the duster, changed salt brands, etc.)? Is anything different? Did you add anything new critter to the tank? Sometimes fish or other critters start to bother the dusters, if this happens they may move.

RoyB

It looks like the clown decided he doesn't like the feather duster. Don't know why after over 2 years together. Put the feather duster to back of tank and it is only coming out at night now. If it starts to come out in the daytime the clown goes after it.

Oxylebius

I'd let the feather duster find its next place to land versus placing it somewhere b/c it will want to find a place where it can filter the water well enough to find enough food to eat. Sometimes where we thing the best place is ends up not a good place for them to get food at IMHO.