Extending the return pumps nozzle down...

Mavjoy

Hi all, I've been thinking of extending the 2 return pumps nozzle down, 'cause my water level in the back chambers keeps going low every morning and it ends up spitting up air on the DT. I want to extend it a little bit. Is this safe for the pumps? No overheating? I want to use some clear plastic hose or a plastic extender is good too. Have anyone tried this yet? Thanks.

cbrownfish

Not sure what you mean......extend the intake or discharge? If you mean the intake, just be sure to use a larger diameter hose/pipe that fits over the existing intake. That way you are not restricting the intake at all.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi Mavjoy,
It sounds to me like you are running your water level too low. Can you make a mark on the inside of one of the chambers to give you a level to go by?
Do you have the surface skimmer on your tank?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
What redseareef said is true - you need to keep the sponge/filter cleaned every couple days to keep water level up in back. Plus if you have the gate too high that also drops the level in back.

Since you're talking about water level in the pump chamber, I assume you must mean the bottom inlet of the 2 RSM pumps? If that's true you can try adding a 3-4 inch piece of tubing to the inlets. But, the weight of the tubing will pull off that bottom section of the pump unless you secure them with a 12 inch plastic cable tie. Here's a post that discusses it:

Pump Mod 1

Here's a different type of pump mod by mbdave that sinks an MJ1200 pump down into the chamber.

Pump Mod 2

The first is probably easier. I've done that one, but it hasn't totally solved the water level problem for me. I think some of the air is pulled in through the cracks in the fittings. But, it has helped. The second mod is more involved but should get rid of all pump related microbubbles.

Someone once used aquarium safe silicone to seal all of the cracks in the pump fittings and that seemed to work, but the pumps would have to be dry, and the silicone given a couple days to cure. It also makes it difficult to take the pumps apart if they need cleaning.

Mavjoy

Thanks guys for making it clear to me. So, the first mod is not really gonna solve the air bubbles if the water level is not in sync with the DT water level. Good point on the filter pad RM, I'll try to change the pad every 3-4 days from now on. Do you guys turn off the pump when changing the pads? It's soo hard not to disturb the deitrus when changing the pad. I have to lift the media rack so I can reach the pad easily. I also have to be on top of topping off the water evap. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I used to turn off the pumps when removing the pad, but I don't any more. I guess I got lazy LOL! I figure what comes loose & goes in the tank will get filtered again, or end up as coral food.