HELP! Expired prodibio for marine ich and velvet

Tazmo

Hi guys please can someone help I have expired prodibio and a fish with ich can I use this product even though it expired in 2015?

DaveK

Prodibio makes a host of products. I'm assuming your using the Spots & Velvet Salt water product.

I would not use this product to treat any diseases. First, they do not tell you what is in it. Second, it's long expired, almost 3 years now.

The other consideration is that the only effective treatments for SW ich are hyposalinity or copper usually in the form of cupramine. These treatments must be done in a quarantine tank, no exceptions. If you do not have a quarantine tank, you need to get one.

See this post which will point you to other threads on the subject.

Tazmo

Prodibio makes a host of products. I'm assuming your using the Spots & Velvet Salt water product.

I would not use this product to treat any diseases. First, they do not tell you what is in it. Second, it's long expired, almost 3 years now.

The other consideration is that the only effective treatments for SW ich are hyposalinity or copper usually in the form of cupramine. These treatments must be done in a quarantine tank, no exceptions. If you do not have a quarantine tank, you need to get one.

See this post which will point you to other threads on the subject.

Hi Dave thanks for the speedy and informative response. Unfortunately ij have a very tiny place so therefore no space or financial means to set up a quarantine tank at this very moment. Looking for a bigger place. Is there any other way I can somehow manage this problem in the meantime? Will hyposalinity treatment affect my inverts?

DaveK

In my opinion a quarantine tank is an absolute requirement fro treating fish diseases. There is no other way to do it. No excuses. The quarantine tank need not be as large as your setup and can be set up on a temporary basis.

Yes hyposalinty will affect you inverts. This all gets back as to why you need a quarantine tank.

As a general rule, you should never ever medicate a reef system to treat a fish disease.

Tazmo

In my opinion a quarantine tank is an absolute requirement fro treating fish diseases. There is no other way to do it. No excuses. The quarantine tank need not be as large as your setup and can be set up on a temporary basis.

Yes hyposalinty will affect you inverts. This all gets back as to why you need a quarantine tank.

As a general rule, you should never ever medicate a reef system to treat a fish disease.

Okay fair enough. My next question would be wouldn't my dt still have ich and wouldn't the fish just get it again after treatment? Or do I need to move all my fish to the quarantine and treat those that don't have ich as well and then leave the dt barren for a while? Sorry just trying to analyze how to do it.