EXACTLY how much salt in every 5 gallon of water

trying to make this easier on me here umm finally got my rodi unit installed and making water now as i speak. but i am using 5 gallon buckets. and was wondering if anyone knew how much salt i would need EXACTLY how much salt i would need for every 5 gallon bucket of water. any one know?

BarbMazz

I think it depends on the brand of salt you use. I use Reef Crystals, and 2-1/2 cups will make 5 gallons of water to a salinity of 1.021, which is too low for a reef tank. So, I had to use more than that 1-1/2c p/5g, but I don't know exactly how much more.

Last edited:

prow

lol, you bet me to it. i too use RC and use about 3-4 cups, ~~ish, to mix 5gal to sal of 1.026.

panmanmatt

Most of your salt mixes use a ratio of 1/2 cup f salt per gallon of water. Start with that and tweak it to meet your needs.

BobBursek

Miniscue effects, unless testing with Lab quality insturments, you would not see a difference. Temp may have the most effect do to colder water is more dense. Water is at it's denses at 39*F, warmer or colder then that it is less dense, that is why ice floats, and lakes "turn over" 2 times a year in climates that have seasonal temps.

tbittner

I read an article that said a 10 degree difference in temp can cause a difference in reading with a refractometer of .003.

That's more than miniscue...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
We could start a new game and become famous "Trivial Pursuit REEFING EDITION"

Temperature Compensation Makes The Difference!

Temperature is one of the single most important factors influencing accurate refractometer readings and is one of the largest sources of error in measurement. Refractive index is VERY dependent on temperature. It is well known that substantially all materials expand when heated (become less dense) and contract when cooled (become more dense). The speed of light in a liquid increases with temperature, and the refractive index, therefore, decreases.
Comparison Graph Showing MISCO Refractometers are Automatically Temperature Compensated

The amount of error per degree Celsius is different for every fluid and differs for different concentrations of the same fluid.

Temperature compensation relieves the user of the responsibility to measure temperature and apply a correction factor when taking readings. Temperature Compensation Makes The Difference!

The chart compares a temperature compensated MISCO Refractometer (red) to a non-compensated competitor (blue). It is plain to see that at 20 'C (68 'F) they are both correct; however, as the temperature deviates from 20 'C, there is a marked error in the non-compensated instrument.

kathywithbirds

I always go for 1.022 for initial mixing. RC and IO use 1/2 cup per gallon, roughly, then I add a touch of calcium additive and Ph perfect (something like that) and let it churn for a day or so. Test the salinity and I generally wind up with 1.022 to 1.024. I can add a pinch of salt if I've topped off recently or keep it there if I haven't (called lazy reefer syndrome.)

I got this other mix I'm trying that I forget the name of and the 1/2 cup isn't enough. I'll try and fish up the name.