everyone's unhappy or on the way out! help

cfusion

I need some advice/help asap...
Tank is 90 gallons, ph 8.2, temp 79, 0 nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, alk kh 4.4/12.3, mg 1120, ca 400... API and red sea tests all within the not expired range..
Just did a bean overflow in the pillar overflow box, running skimmer, sump/refugium below with macro and micro algae chaeto and red for copepods.. Water change 23 gallons completed today...
Tank corals are xenia, hammer coral, purple stylo, Kenya tree, zoas, and mushrooms.. Fish are chromis and yellow tail damsels, cleaner crew is dust feather worms, snails bristle stars, red and blue leg crabs, porcelein and emerald crabs, 4 peppermint shrimp.. Problem is Kenya trees look like they are drying out and folded over, closed up, xenia closed up not pulsing, hammer closed up, anemone all tucked in, stylo turning white in a hurry, zoas closed up tight, mushrooms are the only ones still open at the moment. Change water 10-16 gallons weekly.. Did a big one because everyone except fish were unhappy. No change..
Tank is NOT new, 10 years established. Lighting is t5 ho & led reef, both on timers. One worm has started to shed his feathers now. Help.. Please, don't want everyone to go away..

Adrienne

I'm still new to reef keeping but I would look at what I have done in the last 24 hours or, has this happened since you water changed?

If it's prior to the water change what did you use when doing the bean overflow - glue? non reef safe materials?

Whats your salinity at?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

If the tank 10 years old, you have been doing something right... can't see anything weird from your post - are you dosing anything? If so, might stop & go back to the basics for a few weeks & see if the corals respond positively.

See what others think....

cfusion

Salinity is 35 PPT from salinity meter, the hydrometer puts it at 1.026. The bean was glued with Christies red hot glue. Reef safe according to lfs after cure time. Since bean was installed had issues. Did almost double the water change to try and remedy whatever is causing the sps and lps coral problem.

cfusion

These are from before bean install...

Attachments

• WP_20150315_002.jpg
    WP_20150315_002.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 14
  • WP_20150315_001.jpg
    WP_20150315_001.jpg
    888 KB · Views: 13

cfusion

Can't upload the other photos.. Too large to upload.. Everyone was open and happy, now folded over and closed up...

cfusion

I don't dose, frequent and ritual water changes have always been enough. Fish are doing great, everything else struggling...

Attachments

• WP_20150312_14_21_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150312_14_21_42_Pro.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 9

DaveK

I see two possible sources of your problem. One could be that the glue was not cured. How long did you wait for it to cure before running water through it? The other could be a bad mix of SW. You could have had the SG off or other parameters could be off due to other factors.

Usually I wait at least 24 hours after using any PVC cement before running water through it. If you can smell the cement, it's not cured yet.

As for the water, are you using RO/DI water to mix your salt? Did you use old salt? Did the water temp match?

In any case, if things don't perk up in a day or so, the best course of action is large partial water changes.

Oxylebius

Agree partial water changes are helpful here. If you have any Poly Filter on hand, I'd also use some of that, which should adsorb any chemical residue that may be present.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Agree with the water changes, dilution is the solution. You made two changes so I would suspect one of the two but a water change gets at both.

The other possibility here is your sand bed, if you have one. At 10 years, a disturbance can cause problem and if it is a dsb that hasn't been maintained then its a possibility.

cfusion

I use ro/di water Cora pro salt, and waited 24 hrs after gluing. I ran tap water through it. Now all corals and anemone are removed to newer salt water buckets and I doing another water change before adding them back. Temp and all levels are matched before changing water.

sirrealism

Here is my question. Do you have chloramines in your tap water? I have seen this many times. Did your water company just change there mix from chlorine to chlorine chloramines and ammonia? If so your RODI will not remove chloramines with out help. To know if this is the issue pick up something like Prime or another brand of chloramines remover and dose your tank.
I use these 2 products and suggest this for anyone else http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalytic-activated-carbon-for-chloramines-removal.html
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pentek-chlorplus-carbon-block-chloramines-removal.html
I went through the same thing and after using these all is well. I have 5 reefs and all were going down hill fast.