EVB's Red Sea Max S 650 LED

emvanburen

Nyos skimmer has been acting up. Often seems filled w more water than bubbles, and emitting too many micro bubbles. Turns out there was a calcium deposit on the air inlet / Venturi thing. Vinegar and persistence got it out. Much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

I also dose A+B manually........but yesterday.........I tend to pour the A+B into the plastic cup that comes with it, then use a syringe to draw off the amount I need, but yesterday I had an 'old man moment' and knocked the plastic cup onto the floor.......or should I say the carpet, and it was the thicker nastier smelling one of the two. Quick as a flash, I got a cloth and wiped most of it up. Now I'm just hoping that it doesn't stink otherwise She Who Casts No Shadow will have me sat on the naughty step over the Xmas period.

SPR

I also dose A+B manually........but yesterday.........I tend to pour the A+B into the plastic cup that comes with it, then use a syringe to draw off the amount I need, b.

So why don't you just measure it in the plastic cup it comes with - its got 10ml markings on it - to measure the amount with.... And then you wont drop it because its in your hand old man!

I put either 10 or 20ml of each depending on my mood and then tip it across the top of the tank.

Nobbygas

Because.......I'm only dosing about 6ml of each per day, and the measuring cup starts at 10...and ....and....

Reactions: SPR

emvanburen

Because.......I'm only dosing about 6ml of each per day, and the measuring cup starts at 10...and ....and....

I’m dropping 15 of each in. I marked the cup at 15 and 30 with a sharpie and just pour one in to 15 then the other to 30 and dump it in my pump chamber. Requires zero brain cells at 630 am before coffee....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

emvanburen

Hello folks - has been a while! Tank is still doing well. Main pump crashed today and I could not get it going again. I have been cleaning it so unclear why it died. Frustrating. Fortunately at Xmas I bought myself a little present - a COR 20. It was sitting in the closet so with a trip to the hardware store for some bits I got it running. It is a fancy pump - doubt I will do anything fancy with it. But it was in my closet!
0cc5e300feed85ae38256e30436e9fa6.jpg

While at it, went to clean the recirc pumps and all 4 were out. Wow! Amazingly all worked again once cleaned. Will need to do that more religiously in the future.

Xenia are taking over. I need a enter method of removal. Using joes juice but they are winning. Livestock is good otherwise. Pruned the big Kenya tree on left.
297b00fbd00bfce422751f772cb2b25b.jpg
2254f64d8d10dcec4e0be24df6a5c027.jpg
07a5b7d03b6a2e2120786c74060ae327.jpg

Last edited:

SPR

Hello folks - has been a while! Tank is still doing well. Main pump crashed today and I could not get it going again. I have been cleaning it so unclear why it died. Frustrating. Fortunately at Xmas I bought myself a little present - a COR 20. It was sitting in the closet so with a trip to the hardware store for some bits I got it running. It is a fancy pump - doubt I will do anything fancy with it. But it was in my closet!
0cc5e300feed85ae38256e30436e9fa6.jpg

While at it, went to clean the recirc pumps and all 4 were out. Wow! Amazingly all worked again once cleaned. Will need to do that more religiously in the future.

Xenia are taking over. I need a enter method of removal. Using joes juice but they are winning. Livestock is good otherwise. Pruned the big Kenya tree on left.
297b00fbd00bfce422751f772cb2b25b.jpg
2254f64d8d10dcec4e0be24df6a5c027.jpg
07a5b7d03b6a2e2120786c74060ae327.jpg

Welcome back! Lol

If all 4 circulation pumps were down you must have lost loads of flow in the system ?

Cleaning them is one of those jobs I just don’t like to do simply because you have to hang in the back of the tank to get them out. I know it’s not that bad, but well I just don’t like doing it.

The last clean was end of October 2017 so I’m about do but....

When I take them out ‘shortly’ I’m going to use heavy duty Velcro and a 4 gang extension lead and stick it to the rear of the tank, plug the pumps into that, and then plug the extension lead into the power centre. Then it will be much easier to take them out to clean without wrestling the cables.

I’ve done this with the skimmer plug as well and it’s much easier.

I’ve got some pulsing Xenia and it’s becoming a pain. It grows quickly and unless you keep it down it can easily take over. Infact I’m going to give it a severe chopping in next few days. We just need to find something that kills it or eats it (and nothing else!)

emvanburen

I am tempted to plug all 4 pumps into a 4way and then into my apex strip. Then I can monitor wattage and see if I lose one.

Cable management on this tank with all my apex gear is INSANE!

Yes I lost a lot of flow. I noticed things were a little off - now I know why.

Have been using joes juice. May also try lemon juice concentrate.

Off to the LFS!

emvanburen

Managed to escape from The LFS with only a dozen hermits and some consumables. Have the COR working now - when I go to feed modes it goes to 1% and essentially stops flow without draining / siphoning back to the sump. Awesome!!! So much better. With all that water not draining to the sump I can leave my skimmer on while in feed mode for both food or Reef energy. It’s a transformative feature.

Also totally cleaned the skimmer and put it on a 3 month cycle. What a pain that is. Really wish I had a good skimmer with an easy to get to pump.

Pat24601

Battles with Xenia continue. Am gaining ground on it with aptasia-x. What a pain!

There is some YouTube video of a guy recording to show off his tank and he spends most of the time being very clear / venting about how he feels about Xenia instead.

I’ve never had Xenia and that video is pretty much why.

There are worse problems in this hobby, for sure. But, it doesn’t sound fun.

SPR

There is some YouTube video of a guy recording to show off his tank and he spends most of the time being very clear / venting about how he feels about Xenia instead.

I’ve never had Xenia and that video is pretty much why.

There are worse problems in this hobby, for sure. But, it doesn’t sound fun.
If you can get a grip of it, it will just gently pull away from the rock.

I wear a nitrile glove and gently hold the Xenia near its base and peel it away.

It’s just harder with any small pieces when the feet are embedded in the rocks and if it won’t come out I just take the scissors to it and chop it down and most of it just goes over the overflow.

I haven’t had any issues with these small pieces settling elsewhere in the tank so far.

It’s a very beautiful coral but just grows and grows over other corals which is why it’s a pain.

emvanburen

Today’s skirmish was with a razor knife (prior attempt at putting razor blade in tank left me trying to find it under rock). Got another good hunk out.

Also cleaned downflow valve - easy job. Just some bio/algal film - wiped off and reinstalled. Next time will sequence with main pump cleaning.